Thread: HUH?
View Single Post
Old 09-22-2008, 07:08 AM
stevelegel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: HUH?

I agree with all these posts

1. originally the cars were meant to be disposable, car companies make money selling new cars

2. Old mopars rust

3. gas crisis of 1970's made big blocks undesireable

4. I found my 1970 axle deep in the mud of a pole barn, in 1994. No parts were reproduced and I scavanged for good used pieces, reused originals rebuilt and learned to fabricate and weld sheet metal. More work than average guy would do, or be able to do, as market had not yet heated up.

5. "collectibles" including cars became valuable as investments after stock crash in 1987, and statitcs then indicated cars came to max value about 30 years after production for a market of men in late 40's reliving emotions of their youth.

6. Barrett Jackson and internt use has helped fuel information

7. the increas in value and market for old m0pars created the incentive for reproduction parts to be made and sold, thus completing the cycle.

8. the future of the hobby is (in my opinion) in doubt. Will today's young men relive their adolecence with old time muscle? Typically cars past 50 years old decline in value, as their market demographic starts to die off. Think of pricing for model A's and war years cars. 1950's cars value is stable but not appreciating much. Will the future hold for Ford Probes and minivvans? Will rice burners be the big money cars of 2030?

Steve