Old 08-21-2006, 09:16 PM
Jeremiah 29:11
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1931 Daimler named 'Best of Show' in top car contest

1931 Daimler named 'Best of Show' in top car contest

The long, two-seat 12-cylinder car takes the top prize at Pebble Beach.

An ultrarare 1931 Daimler car was awarded "Best of Show" at this year's Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance, the top competition for high-priced collectible cars, on Sunday.

The long-nosed 1931 Daimler Double-Six Corsica Drophead Coupe is one of only four that were produced. The car is currently owned by Robert Lee of Reno, Nev. It was judged the best car among 175 competing cars.

The most valuable car at the show this year was a 1962 Ferrari valued at $12 million to $14 million. The average value of the cars competing at this year's event was $1.1 million, according to a spokesman for the Concours.

No information was available about the value of the winning car.

Daimler is a British ultraluxury car brand. It has no relationship to today's DaimlerChrysler. The 1931 Double-Six Corsica Drophead Coupe has a V-12 engine. It is the only surviving one of the four originally made.

The competition involved judging in 25 narrowly defined categories. The "Best of Show" winner each year is selected from among the category winners.

Along with the Meadowbrook Concours, which took place in Michigan earlier in August, and the Amelia Island Concours, which took place in Florida in March, Pebble Beach is part of the "Triple Crown" of collector car shows.

The winning car was purchased in 2004 by Lee, the founder of Hunting World, a company that sells safari gear. Lee has been entering cars in the Concours since 1986 and has won various awards, but this is his first "Best of Show" award.

"I purchased this car because it made my heart skip a beat," said Lee in an announcement. "I guess the judges today agreed with my heart."

[IMG]local://upfiles/17/2ADDF98F94264A48A0B721CE8DAE1BD7.jpg[/IMG]
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.