View Single Post
Old 10-01-2008, 09:43 AM
LordFoul

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil catch can

So, after reading through a lot of peoples various experiences with the SRT 6.1L - I was disturbed with the amount of oil showing up in the intake coming from the PCV system. There is one particular picture of a new 6.1L motor with 4k miles on it - with oil all through the intake system. The guy was swapping intakes and the mechanic showed him how much oil had been pulled in to the system, and commented how bad that was - that the oil would build up and cause the valves to fail to seat properly if it continued. There are a number of threads (google for 6.1L srt oil catch can) on people who use oil catch cans and report getting a teaspoon or 2 of oil in the can every oil change on average.

I've pretty much decided on my first modification will be an oil catch can, you can make your own or order one. I've gone the latter route:

http://www.billettechnology.com/Merc...=PerformanceLX

Given how cheap and easy this is to do, it seems like the a good way to keep a lot of extra oil out of the intake system - which could rob you of performance, and eventually gum up the works.

I wanted to post there here, since there has been very little discussion of oil catch cans on this forum. Perhaps some folks on this forum have had some experiences they can share as well.