View Single Post
Old 10-17-2008, 03:29 PM
RLSH700
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: CAMARO PRICING LEAKED!

And what's the surprise? GM was intending this to be a higher volume car than Chrysler as that is Chevrolet's strategy, yet the profit margin is generally small. Considering we are in a slow down, this could be a risky strategy for GM to attempt. I made the point years ago and I will make it again.

Ford=Chevrolet

Pontiac=Dodge

Chevrolet doesn't = Dodge

Ford & Chevrolet are volume divisions, Dodge isn't a volume division. That was Plymouth and it is gone now partly because of how much volume determines success in the modern economy. Dodge is a more premium brand than Chevrolet or Ford; therefore, this doesn't surprise me. Also remember that the Challenger is larger than either of these cars. That is part of the reason behind the cost. The looks to me define the reason for purchasing a car. If I wanted fastest acceleration time for the price and looks being forgotten, I'd get a turbo I4. The Camaro may very well be faster and cheaper for what you are getting; however, remember this. When the Camaro was discontinued. It was a better bargin and faster than the Mustang, but it and it's twin sold less than half of the Mustang's sales combined. There is more to a car muscle car than power and price, it is also about looks. The Mustang GT was quite a bit slower than the Z28 and Formula and the Cobra was still a bit slower for a higher price, but the Mustang won because it was more livable and better looking. Looks close the deal.

Also, again why is anyone surprised. This is precisely what GM does. They wait until everyone else shows their hand, then they adjust theirs to be the "best." The followers strategy cannot lead. It simply doesn't work.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts