Old 10-18-2008, 12:17 AM
caj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ordering and need advice on some options and extended warranty

Hi everyone, I'm new to the Forum and have learned a lot from reading all your posts. We're retired, live in St George, Utah (previous from Bartlett, Ill before retiring) and just sold our 2001 Caddy Eldo that was pristine with 24,000 miles to buy a new Challenger R/T. The dealer here wants $5,000 over invoice for an R/T so we will probably buy/order in Las Vegas when we're there in a little over a week.
So-far we are undecided on the color. I originally wanted to wait for the B-5 Blue, but I saw a B-5 blue on a Charger and wasn't very impressed. It's really doesn't look much like the B-5 Blue I remember in the early 70s'. So we're now considering White, Hemi-Orange, or Tored Red.
We are also going to get an auto trans. My wife can drive stick but "she chooses not too". Well, at least I'm getting a Challenger.
So here here is where I'm looking for a little advice and opinions.....
1) Is the Sound Group 2 (368 watt) with sub-woofer that much of an improvement over the 276 watt system and worth the money?
2) I owned a 97 Vette with the run-flat tires and never really trusted the fact that there was no spare tire. I am thinking of ordering the compact spare tire. The drawback is all the space that it will take away from the trunk area. What are you all doing? Is it a necessary evil or should I trust the set-up that is standard on the Challenger?
3) We've never owned a GPS and are considering it. We don't have an MP3 or any of that kind of stuff. I've read good and bad about the uconnect GPS. From what I've seen, I like the looks of the console a little better without the GPS....it just looks cleaner. But, is it worth the money? I'm old school and in a way I think that, down the road, it's just one more thing to go wrong.....which brings me to my last question.
4) When I told the local salesperson here in town about my concern with the uconnect GPS being expensive to fix when it eventually malfunctions and stops working (years down the road), he said that for $2300 you can buy a $100 deductable bumper-bumper lifetime warranty on the car that will cover everything for as long as you (the original owner) owns the car. First of all....I'm not one for purchasing additional warranties, but that doesn't seem like a bad deal. I'm sure that the price may be somewhat negotiable also....they always are. Has anyone heard of that and what do you think.
We'll....that's it. I hope I haven't been too long winded but I was an engineer in my working days and the thoroughness still carries over somewhat (unless it comes to outside yard-work..ha ha ha). Thanks for taking the time to read this and all your replies are more than welcome. Craig