View Single Post
Old 11-01-2008, 04:42 PM
Jeremiah 29:11
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dodge Challenger and Many Other Chrysler Models Not Likely To Weather a GM-Chrysler Merger

I will be monitoring this very closely in case I have to order one very quickly. Very sad news for American autoworkers.

Dodge Challenger and Many Other Chrysler Models Not Likely To Weather a GM-Chrysler Merger

Date posted: 2008-10-31 15:59:00.0

SOUTHFIELD, Michigan — Only the Dodge Ram, some "core" Jeep vehicles and Chrysler's minivans are likely to survive if a pending merger between General Motors and Chrysler happens, according to a new report by Grant Thornton LLP, a tax and advisory group here. Such iconic vehicles as the Dodge Challenger and Charger are notably absent from the list. The Dodge Viper brand is currently up for sale, as Chrysler tries to shop the brand in advance of a merger.

"Chrysler has 26 model offerings, of which Grant Thornton considers only seven to be core and likely to be retained [56 percent of sales]," said the report, which was released on Thursday. "These include the Dodge Ram pickup truck, core Jeep-brand vehicles and the company's minivans."

The report notes that half of Chrysler's 14 existing manufacturing facilities likely would close. "A plant reduction of this magnitude would equate to about 12,000 production jobs lost plus another 12,000 administrative positions," said Grant Thornton.

"Chrysler as we know it will cease to exist very soon," said Kimberly Rodriguez, principal of Grant Thornton's automotive practice. "At this point, there are very few options available to either company." She adds: "If one or the other company were to fail, we would face a much bigger calamity — the collapse of the North American supply base and the potential endangerment of all three Detroit automakers and businesses that depend on them."

Inside Line says: Some storied Chrysler nameplates may be casualties of a merger between Chrysler and General Motors. — Anita Lienert, Correspondent
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.