View Single Post
Old 11-17-2008, 04:54 AM
2007HemiCuda

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Wanted: Detroit Leadership

Senator Shelby,
Greetings from Qatar I hope this email finds you well and I appreciate you standing up for conservative principals. We’re going to need a lot of that in the next four years. I’m a conservative who believes in smaller less intrusive federal government but I must say I strongly disagree with your position on a loan to The Big Three.

One can point to bad decisions The Big Three made in 70’s and early 80’s but they got a lot of help making poor decisions by elements of the government and the UAW.

Critics argue The Big Three brought this upon themselves. The banking crisis brought this on us all. They had a recovery plan, they were working through it, even picking up some sales with strong new products such as the Ford Fusion and the Chevy Malibu. The new cars are in the pipeline and would have arrived in plenty of time if Wall Street and Washington had avoided this collapse. If you think it's just The Big Three, look at Toyota's profit margin. Look at its stock price.

Critics say “You guys make good small cars in Europe and Asia; why won't you bring them here?" I say look at the Chevy Cobalt and Aveo that's leading its segment. I say look at the ever increasingly stringent safety standards year after year.

Critics say "You guys fought CAFE increases," the truth is we've had no coherent energy policy in this country for 40 years, and CAFE does nothing to influence consumer demand. Gas was cheap the folks wanted nice SUV’s.

No one in my family works for The Big Three nor do I own stock in any of the companies. I’m proud American who can see past the spin and bias, concerned about jobs and our country’s manufacturing sector. Please Senator Shelby take some time and reconsider.

Respectfully

John Rogers
That is I.