Old 11-20-2008, 06:32 PM
telecast76

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: winter storage: what proceedures should i take?

I had a 69 Chevelle SS396 (which I sold to buy my 09 RT) for over 10 years and it was a "garage queen" that I only put a few hundred miles a year on. But I never winterized it, for the reasons stated above about wanting to keep everything nicely lubricated and in running order. I'd just start it up every 2-3 weeks and if the roads were free of salt, I'd drive it for 10-15 minutes until the temps came all the way up (AND the exhaust pipes were nice & HOT to burn off that condensation).

On weeks where the roads were salty, I just back the car up & down my salt free driveway a few times to heat it up and to lube everything and to make the transmission shift and to avoid flat spots and to prevent the seal in the master cylinder from taking a set, etc. etc etc. Oh, and yes, Stabil in the tank. That overall scheme did me well for over 10 years as I never had any strange problems in the 10 years I had it.

I live in SE Pa where we dont get subzero temps but we do get down into the teens for spells and we often go below freezing.

I had a friend with a MINT Vette who winterized his (took the wheels off & put it up on blocks, poured some fancy liquid down the carb to prevent it from rusting up etc) and that all seemed like such a hassle. Plus, sometimes you get a warm spell in the winter and it's nice to be able to take advantage of it by just opening up your garage door and turning your ignition key and being able to go right away!

I will say one thing about a battery tender if you use one. Disconnect it a good few minutes and let the battery ventilate before you start the car. I exploded a battery under the hood of my Chevelle one time when I disconnected the tender & started the car immediately - I figure it must have been a combo of battery gases from the charging coupled with a spark under the hood. And when I say exploded, I mean EXPLODED.