View Single Post
Old 01-04-2009, 04:59 AM
jh27n0b

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 72 360 won't stay running

Hello Reefkeeper. The canister is a closed vapor canister. it is part of the ECS [Evaporation Control System]. It contains a replaceable charcoal filter. The cannister itself could be a source of a vacuum leak. The best source is a factory service manual. I have a Chiltons that also has the system described. I tried to download a diaghram but my scanner is on the fritz. Our local library has some of the older repair manuals. The purpose of this system is to pull gas vapors into the engine through the carb when running and also remove the gas vapors when the car is not being used. Most people remove this system because of the vacuum leak potential. The best way to test for vacuum leaks is to block off all the hoses coming from the carb and see if that makes a difference in how the engine runs. Do not drive the car with the power assisted vacuun booster disconnected. Do you have a vacuum gage? A vacuum gage can tell you a lot. The problem will be with the different than original motor. This makes trouble shooting a little bit more of a headache when comparing your hoses to a factory service manual.
Bob