View Single Post
Old 01-08-2009, 06:35 PM
epegasus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: EVIC - Information Needed

ORIGINAL: blackblurr
Dont forget that the radar device has to be registered with the FCC & if its not the ticket is invalid.
Most of your big city PDs are going to certainly have the equipment registered. The other loop hole is calibration. Technically you have the right to request proof that the device has been properly tested and calibrated. There should be certification papers in the patrol car to verify this. Also, with the non laser radar, they may have a tuning fork calibration right there in the car. They aim the device at a tuning fork and read the vibration frequency which should be within a pre-specified range. Then there is the question of proper use: angle of attack, humidity compensation (water vapor present in air like mist, dew, fog, etc). With laser, most of this goes out the window and most of them are using laser.

Here's the part that will really tick you off. Guess who provides the lion's share of support to police departments through budget and equipment donations for speed detection devices??? Your friendly, neighborhood insurance companies via their lobbyist organizations. They give them the means by which to get you ticketed thus allowing them to up your rates. Ain't that mightly neighborly of them. "In most cases", not all, the ticket money is expressly for the retirement funds of Judges and law enforcement ocifers. Nothing like a little incentive to get out there and do some ticketing.

Personally, I see cops speeding for no reason EVERY day. If I'm running 80-90 and I'm holding my lane and not tail gating, LEAVE ME THE @#$! ALONE!! But the second I start weaving in and out of traffic or cutting people off and riding their bumpers, hit me with everything you got.