View Single Post
Old 01-12-2009, 06:55 PM
BLK 6050

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Interesting piece from carlustblog.com

One thing about memories, the farther back in the past they are, the better they seem...one of the benefits to growing older, right RoswellGrey? Funny how the past takes on a whole new image of things being much better than they currently are today. We tend to look at the past through rose colored classes, forgetting many of the bad details, replacing those memories with only the good. Well I have to say that I have to disagree with you in regards to the old Challenger being better than the new Challenger...It has the look and feel of the 70 without many of the short-coming that all muscle cars from that period of time had, such as poor brakes, handling, tires, and engines that needed almost constant attention if you hoped to get the best performance. And, let's not forget about quality control that was almost non existent.
As far as the new Challenger being a bloated hulk....yes the new Challenger is a big heavy car....but you seem to forget that the original Challenger was based on a shorted B-body chassis (sounds like the current Challenger being based on a shortened LX chassis) and it was the heaviest pony car of the day....sound familiar? And, it's big size gives it a "useable" rear seat, and trunk...something the original never had.
Bottomline, a copy of the original would never sell today in the numbers needed to make a profit....and with all the safety regs. and such...could never be built and sold in todays world. No, the new Challenger is no 70 Challenger....but that's a good thing.....two very different cars for two very different times....
(By the way I owned two 1970 RT/SEs a 383 and a 440 back in the day.....wouldn't trade my 08 for a 70 today...well...maybe...no, wouldn't do it...it's those old memories...)