View Single Post
Old 01-13-2009, 05:05 AM
BLK 6050

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Interesting piece from carlustblog.com

I guess the coolness factor really comes down to a matter of personal option and taste. No modern muscle car will ever be as cool as it is driving a 35+ year old restored muscle car. However, I guess were the discussion enters a grey area is when it comes to "living" with a muscle car. The original 70s Challenger is a very cool and sharp looking car, but it is more of a weekend fun car, not a daily got to get there type of car. The new Challenger is a modern interpretation of the original and was never intended to be a copy of the 70 (some may well view the "retro muscle" car the same as painting a mini shirt on the Mona Lisa). Be that as it may, I have to say I now like the overall design of the new Challenger better than the original, and I never thought I would ever say that when the new Challenger first came out. And, due to the limited offerings of modern "retro" muscle, the Challenger may well be even cooler than it ever was...again personal option.
I too was looking at buying another 70 Challenger (wanted an RT/SE) before I purchased my 08, but couldn't see paying over $50,000 for a nice example. Way more than the new Challenger with all the bells and whistles, and I couldn't really drive it out of fear that something might happen to it. And, restoring a early E-body...forget about it....would cost about the same or more to do it right. And, then you have a car that you can't drive because it's more of an investment......Sad, but times have changed and many of these old muscle cars will never see the light of day....More of an investment for today's owners than a fun car.......very sad..