View Single Post
Old 01-20-2009, 06:58 AM
lear4406

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 6-Speed owners

I have alot of experience in manual shift cars. I own 3 right now. So I'm pretty good with a stick. So I want to tell folks who own 6-speeds to be very careful while shifting. If you are shifting up and on the gas then alls good and fine. But when cruising along in 6th and you need to get to 4th be very careful at which gear you select then let out on the clutch. These cars have a fuel cut to keep you from over reving while upshifting.. but when you select a lower 2nd and want 4th there is no safety net. Mechanical over rev can take place and damage your engine. When overrevving on an upshift fuel cut will stop any problems... but there is no safety mechanism for mechanical over RPMs. Damage will result and I just know we are going to hear of such on this forums because I have come close to doing it. Just wanting to throw that out and stop a potential problem. most people think they will be safe and the nannies will save them, upshift yeah, down shift ... no. So please be careful with your shifts, these tremecs are so easy to shift to any gear. I believe you could shift into 1st at 60 mph if you really set your mind to it. Drop the clutch and boom 8000-10000 RPM and no safety net[]