View Single Post
Old 01-29-2009, 04:49 AM
BLK 6050

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: What in your garage?

A friend gave me a heads up about the "Charger" on eBay as well...Didn't see the ad, but sounds like that Purple 70 Charger with the "Daytona conversion package" that started a lot of the confusion surrounding the myth regarding whether Dodge made any "factory" 70 Daytona's.
Which has been proven to be false for a number of reasons;
1. No need as the 69 Daytona was still legal for the 70 season
2. Would have had a hard time moving the cars (Yes, it's hard to believe with their value today, but back in the day..few people really wanted a street Wingcar...example the unsold 70 Superbirds)
3. Safety Regs wouldn't have allowed "any" wingcars built in 1970 due to new regs regarding bumpers. (And, no the feds would not allow the nose to be considered a "Bumper" for 1970.
4. Engineers at Chrysler were already working on the next generation Wingcar based on the to be released 1971 body Dodge Chargers and Plymouth RoadRunners. (They had already done a lot of wind tunnel testing, before the entire project was dropped in late 70..due to NASCARs outlawing all the special bodies....of course there would be Aero Coupe SS Monte's and others later...but no more WINGS)
And, the story regarding Robert G. owning the car...he stated to an auto magazine a few years before his death that in fact he had never owned a Daytona. He did however own a 1971 Charger that was mildly customized by George Barris (mostly paint). There is a picture of this Charger in the Barris book "Cars of the Stars".

ORIGINAL: Yankee
Hey BLK, you would appreciate this - there's a 70 Charger with the supposed "Daytona conversion package" on eBay (for watever reason it won't let me post the link). I saw this car in a museum when I was living in Kansas several years ago (in fact, this is the very car I refer to in my Dodge Charger wikicars article). Legend supposedly has it that this car was originally owned by Robert Goulet, who lost it in a poker bet shortly after he bought it...