View Single Post
Old 02-09-2009, 03:34 PM
trev

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Went thru 3 trees last night...

thats pretty much what went down.
it corrected my correction.
i anticipated before the traction control did.

it was stupid.
i've never crashed a car in my life.
never even had a close call like that before.
the whole thing is really stupid.
ORIGINAL: Thor77

ORIGINAL: trev

Pine Needles+experienced driver+traction control=Disaster

so I turn into it to correct the turn like I'M supposed to. car straightens out and continue driving
AND THEN orange light starts blinking super crazy the brakes LOCK UP because of the pine needles
the back end swings out the OTHER way towards the inside of the lane
the passenger side nose of the car just goes thru three trees at about a 6 inch diameter.
====

the messed up part is, i could have gotten out of that situation if I didn't have traction control.
i'm really angry about this actually.
because i really liked the traction control.
i though it was good, not the best. but really good. and then that had to go and happen.

it was like as soon as the orange light turned on i felt like i was on ice and the car sped up!
and since the tires locked on the pine needles I had NO control
If i am reading this right, it sounds like it was slow on the uptake, and may have interpreted your countersteer to correct the skid as the way you actually wanted to go. That would give the feeling of the back end swinging toward the inside, and you shooting off the road nose first. Scary if that is the case. I do not have a ton of experience with traction control, but I have had a couple instances where I felt that I was correcting the skid before the computer intervened, and that the intervention made a routine correction into a scarier situation.

I always thought car mags were flattering themselves when they complained about cars where traction control could not be turned off, but after experiencing the BMW version, I definitely find it a bit annoying/unsettling.