View Single Post
Old 02-09-2009, 08:48 PM
mot250

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: First Oil Change?

There are, I think, 4 bolts that you need to remove from the plastic belly pan in order to remove that belly pan to gain access to both the oil filter and the oil pan drain plug. Drain oil from pan, remove filter, replace filter, replace pan drain bolt, refill with fresh oil, replace belly pan and the 4 retaining nuts.

I skipped the basic other precautions I take - like flushing at least 1/2 quart of fresh oil through the engine before replacing the drain plug, checking to make sure the filter gasket comes off with the old filter, lubing the new filter gasket with fresh oil to make it easier to remove as well as seal better, pre-filling the new filter at least partially (not so much that it drips out when installing it), pre-warming the new oil if it is cold outside, start the car and check for leaks before replacing the belly pan, etc...

By the way, the factory installed filter is a bear to get off. I think the factory skips the step where you lube the filter gasket with oil before tightening it down.