Thread: B-Day Gift
View Single Post
Old 09-26-2006, 07:11 PM
RLSH700
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: B-Day Gift

ORIGINAL: Jeremiah 29:11

Your brother was probabaly exmilitary. There is no doubt the 45 has excellent stopping power......but the 9mm in the hands of good shooter is nothing to snear at.
With a few double taps, that will stop anything.
Actually he isn't. He just likes firearms. He likes firearms just like I like cars. Our hometown has a shooting complex which has many shooting events, which he dresses up in a ponoco, a cowboy hat, and cowboy boots. My brother likes to read Guns & Ammo, and other magazines like such. While I read Road and Track, Car and Driver, and Motor Trend, he is busy reading his firearms magazines.

The ironic thing is people were afraid of my brother at first when they saw him reading those magazines (he was still in H.S. when the Columbine shooting happened). They assumed that because he liked guns that he would do something stupid like that. When they informed him that everyone was scared of him he responded, "Those guys didn't respect those weapons. They were idiots. The difference is I respect guns, which means I know what they can do and I'm very careful with them. I use guns for the sake of entertainment. It's a sport to me, not a killing device. I use them for the sake of target shooting."

The part I find funny about the fact that they were afraid of my brother is the fact that they didn't know my brother well enough to know he would never do that. My brother gets sick by the sight of blood. He can't stand it. It causes him to faint. He gets that from my dad's side of the family. Many of my uncles and aunts will react the same way to blood. They look like they've seen a ghost. They're completely spooked by the sight of blood. If the people in his class knew my family they would understand his interest in guns.

My Grandfather (on my father's side), my father and his brothers all like guns and none of them have ever been in the military. The thing is they like westerns because my Grandfather was and still is a farmer. People who live grew up out in the country tend to enjoy that stuff. My father and his brothers all liked John Wayne movies and idolized the good-old American west portayed in the movies. They partly are like that because they are all history buffs. My father has more books about the Civil War than anything else.

The most humorous part of their interest is the fact that both my brother and one of my uncles will be watching a western and they will start complaining about how this gun isn't accurate for this time period. Either the manufacture didn't exist or that model gun wasn't introduced yet.

The funny thing is I will do the same but with cars. I think I counted at least 3 inaccurate vehicles in Oliver Stone's World Trade Center movie. Some of the Crown Vics were too new because the grille was made of stainless steel lines going horizontally across; whereas, some of them were brand new ones with the black plastic style that is the current model. There was a full-sized Nissan Pathfinder Armada which wasn't introduced until 2004. They had a Lincoln Town Car that was at least a 2003 or newer based on the body style. My mother tells me that we don't have a good time unless we find something to complain about, and she knows it.

In response to the "a few double taps" part. The thing my brother pointed out is when your on the battle field and the enemy wants to kill you, the response to pain is much less than normal. You need something that hits them so hard that it will literally stop them in their tracks.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts