Thread: Classic movie
View Single Post
Old 03-23-2009, 10:58 AM
BLK 6050

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really didn't have a favorite car until I started following Richard Petty in the Mid-70's. He was always my favorite driver and so I became a fan of Mopars. I was never a big Plymouth fan as I liked the "upscale" trim levels of the Dodges better, but when I first saw the Superbird I just knew I had to have one. (Wish I still had it...a yellow 4-speed Hemi car) I remember all the people back in the day that would laugh at it....the same people that would kill to own one today....
I visited his work shop/Museum in Raddleman (Spelling?), NC many years ago...it was truly special. In my mind, Petty made NASCAR (what it use to be, before cookie cutter cars). He did many things back in the day to get an "advantage" over the others....sometimes they worked, such as mounting the body to one side of the classis to make the car handle better...to some ideas that didn't, such as the vinyl top that came loose during a race. those were the days...not creating....just looking for an advantage within the gray area of the rule book. Unlike Smokey and his "banana" race car (65-66 ?) Fun times.....