View Single Post
Old 09-28-2006, 03:19 PM
Harts56

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Need to wake up a 440!

Yup, that's the car! The car is in good shape and not in need of much at this point. The only issue I really have is the 1975 smog motor that dosen't have much pep. I sold a 67 Camaro RS convt. with 325 RWHP that would run circles around this.

The 906 heads did come with a combustion chamber of 73.5. Even though the engine has very low miles I figgured going to the smaller combustion chamber should boost compression almost 2 points and get me in the 10:1 to 10.5:1 range. More compression, more power if mated correctly. From what I have seen most of the aftermarket Chrysler big block heads are the 82 to 85CC range and I need to increase compression so these will not work. Indy has a slick setup, but they know it and charge accordingly!

I'm in So. Ca. and may try to find some used 906 heads locally and figure out the cost to bring them up to what I want vs. a set of Indy heads. I'm not looking to race the car or high RPM's. Just like to go fast when I hit the gas between stoplights. Rear gears I can't go much more than what I have because I live in the sticks and getting on the freeway at 70 mph I'm just about 3,000 rpm now.

So my plans at this point are to find a set of heads (906 or aftermarket) with around 73cc combustion chambers, replace the cam, and torque converter. Hopefully that will add to the pep and not break the bank.

Thanks for you input!