Old 10-04-2006, 11:06 AM
RLSH700
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Why the 6.1L Challenger could be faster than the GT500

Thank you bored out. You also made good points about the advantages that the Mustang would have at the higher end. The only thing I will counter that with is that in '98, MT compared a Cobra to a Z28 and Formula. Although the NA 4.6L 32valve DOHC engine tends to have its advantage at the higher end of the powerband, the LS1 powered F-cars pulled away after 60.

The 4.6L was able to keep up in the lower end where its design has the disadvantage, but it lost it in the range where it should have had the advantage. Now perhaps this was due to the fact that the Cobra only had a 5-speed; whereas, the F-cars had T-56 Tremec 6-speeds, but the thing that amazes me is that the Cobra was able to keep up as long as it did despite a dyno proven disadvantage in HP and TQ. The F-cars should have blown it away right from the beginning, but they didn't until they were in the range where they have the design disadvantage. It is confusing.

In short, I'm still struggling to understand why the GT500 isn't faster than it currently is, but I don't think it is good to have a serious advantage in the quarter-mile if it only does it in .1 secs faster than GC, granted it is at a higher speed but with the 1000 lbs removed with a manual will probably make up this difference.

Also remember that the GT500 is electronically limited to about 155. It appears that the Challenger will top out around 174. So I believe the Challenger will beat the GT500.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts