Thread: Eco + Muscle
View Single Post
Old 06-14-2009, 08:51 AM
RLSH700
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MrKrisSullivan
Really? What about the Dodge Circuit? IMO... I'm all for FUN, FAST, AND PRETTY CARS.... If they want to do that while saving money at the pump, why not? Honesty I don't care what the car runs on as long as it performs, looks sexy, and is dependable...
I'm happy to explain this to you. The issue is I once did a report back in my college days about all the different hybrid models that were being produced and how the sales were going. With a few exceptions, the only ones that were selling were the hardcore hybrid models like the Prius and the other models that weren't so polarizing weren't selling. The reason for this is demographics. The people who wanted hybrids liked the ugly styling because it stood out and was unquestionable that they were driving a hybrid as a statement. The other models didn't appeal to them because they liked this image.

The issue is the image of hybrids to people other than certain camps in the environmentalist community is being an overpriced, not cost effective, potentially damaging to our environment in other ways, ugly, slow, lame car. That to a large degree is the problem.

Also, the other problem is you have to understand what pony cars and muscle cars are all about in the spirit. They are about rebellion and not conforming to the robot mentality of society. This by definition undercuts this image.

The reason why I'm against this is I know that hybrids do NOT get the fuel economy that they are rated at and they will take forever to overcome the price difference between it and normal models if they ever are able to thanks to the cost of battery replacement, cost of potential extra problems happening with the electrical equipment.

I am also against this because of the boiling frog model. The concept of this is if you throw a frog in boiling water, it will leap out, but if you place a frog in lukewarm water and then heat it up to a boil, frogs will not leap out of the water. What this means is if you immediately try to change people by implementing a dramatic change instantly, they will not comply, but if you slowly introduce things like this slowly they will comply. To me, they are trying to destroy our capability to own cars like these by implementing technology that will make them unaffordable and less desirable so then they can dictate another fact in our lives but doing it one step at a time and I'm not going to comply and I'm going to call this out as being what it is, a baby step to destroying muscle/pony cars.

If fuel efficiency is the concern, diesels are the wiser direction as they get long range fuel efficiency, they are quite powerful, and generally more reliable than gasoline powered cars. If the goal is fuel efficiency and cost effectiveness this is the direction they would pursue.

My feelings about the LOTUS Circuit is this. It is too small and it is NOT a Dodge. It is another example of badge engineering and if produced will more than likely fail in the long run. The issue is Chrysler has tried so many times to do badge engineering and 9 times out of 10 it doesn't work. Chrysler is better when they develop their own technology and utilize it. Now, I have nothing against the styling cues, but the strategy has been tried so many times before (Stealth, Laser/Talon, Crossfire, etc.) and ultimately it ends the same way each time.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts