Thread: R/T vs GTO 6.0
View Single Post
Old 06-24-2009, 10:51 AM
mot250

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lear4406
Yeah, thats the same thing this guy thought as well as myself. But this R/T has been a real suprise. The look on this guys face was priceless and I think he found new respect for the R/T. As an ex-street racer from the 70s this was dejavue. I think we will hear more stories of R/Ts holding their own... as most mags have painted them as heavy slugs. Man I love this car. As far as mods I have the air raid intake and the deablo predator tuner. This race was by far the best launch and shift I have been able to preform. I wanted to post the results (even though I lost) to let the R/T guys know that we do put down some good #s and to not be intimidated by the results of the mags.
Ok, so you fooled him and let him believe your car was stock. Magazines typically only compare stock prepared (not saying factory ringers don't get used once in a while) so in stock form, the magazines are not that far off calling these cars heavy and slow compared to other late model Mustangs and Camaros, or if not slow at least not up to their expectation based on the power specs.

Adding a "tune" and an intake completely changes things. I've always felt the stock computer program in the Challenger really restricts its potential. It seems to really retard throttle response and, therefore, acceleration. That may be good for the average "Joe" in slipperey conditions but for us who really want to work the car, it sucks.

In real life and a stock R/T, we would only be able to expect to be so close to a stock earlier 5.7 GTO, not the '05 and '06 6.0L GTOs. At least that is my experience comparing my Mustang to those different GTOs and then comparing my Mustang to my R/T. Maybe I'll get a chance tonight in the R/T at the track for direct comparisons against some other cars to my R/T