Thread: Eco + Muscle
View Single Post
Old 07-13-2009, 05:31 PM
RLSH700
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MrKrisSullivan
Ok...
I totally agree that another hybrid model would work better in a different market. Definatly not the "muscle car" one at least. I was kinda going with the assumption that people are buying the V-6 model "muscle cars" for, well excuse the pun here...LOL... "image" So... Joey buys the V-6 Mustang or Challenger just for the "image" not performance, He may also actually be worried about gas-mileage too, which it seems a lot of people are concerned about when they go with the V-6. In that theory or scenario it would totally work right? To move on down... Yes we'll have to manufactor new platforms for these hybrids... I beleive that if a platform like the LX or a LY were built from the ground up for a Hybrid powertrain we could use that platform so many different ways. You know? Just think how succesfull this platform is... Magnum,Charger,300,and now our Challenger. I don't think we should just stuff a Hybrid in this car, but engineer a platform that works and is flexible.
I think that gets to the Tenderloin of the argument...U.S.D.A Grade Prime...
It's possible that the premium on the Hybrid models is the only reason for the failure of a hybrid in a particular model.
V6 muscle cars aren't as big a joke as many people think they are. The V6 Mustang is accelerates nearly as fast as the last 5.0L Mustang GT, the problem with this theory is that it gets about the same fuel economy as a 5.0L Mustang did. The appeal of V6 models is to get the looks without having to pay the price. If you really wanted to boost fuel economy, the best way is to continue to allow the technological advancements take place that have taken place. The Hemi's mileage keeps getting better and better. The next steps they could take in the case of the automatic models is to upgrade to a six-speed that has better gearing that the Mercedes 5-speed has and possibly upgrade to a Dual-Clutch automatic to yield the best of both worlds as well as upgrading to Gasoline Direct Injection when it becomes more economically feasible to utilize. If they could ever get the MDS and the manual to get along, that would be a good step for the manual models.

From what I understand a special platform isn't the issue (in fact I believe the 200C is on the LY platform), its the fact that the R&D is high and there are guarantees that people will want them.

You won't like this comparison and it is out on the limb like the VCR to DVD player.
But blue Jeans have been around for ever too. We've been able to keep it the same all the while completly changeing everything about it. Far fetched sure. Everybody wants something different though. DVD's to Blu-Ray though still to me is evolution not replacement.
So I just seriously had a major light bulb go on right now....Im just gonna end that discussion there. Alls well that ends well.
But on to the light bulb, man. Maybe im missing something or have just been working to much lately. Or we need to just make a............or you ready for it?...............Ready?..........I hope you like it................................................ .............
.......HYBRID DIESEL.........Dunh..dunh..dunh...(music in the background) + (possibly Star Wars) LOL.... It's time to move on my friend... HYBRID DIESEL... You think if we say it in front of the mirror with the lights out it will appear in the drive-way waiting? LOL... What do you think? I'm ready... Lets do it... Game over... Till next time...Peace...
The DVD to Blu-ray is a more logical comparison. The problem with the diesel hybrid idea is that diesels generally cost more than gas models and adding the hybrid portion makes the situation worse. Chrysler had the same idea back in the 90s with the Intrepid ESX models and they were insanely expensive. The other issue is traditionally diesels are not the kind of engines you want to shut off and restart because they are not quite as easy to start, though they have been getting much better as technology has improved but I don't know if that is a safe idea.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts