View Single Post
Old 10-07-2006, 06:03 PM
BootCamp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Picture

That no post in the middle is also known as the "B Pillar" which is used to support the rear doors.
Without it, the only door you can have are suicide doors which are hinged in the rear below the "C Pillar".........

Can anybody think of a hardtop (in other words without a "B Pillar") with 4 doors? Please let me know.
Currently in production? Nope, can't think of one.
In past production? Sure.....quite a few - without suicide doors. Here's just a few links:
1959 Pontiac Catalina
1959 Cadillac DeVille
1962 Buick Electra
1962 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1963 Chevrolet Impala
1963 Chrysler Imperial
1966 Cadillac Fleetwood
1966 Chrysler Imperial Crown
1966 Ford LTD (like my Dad's, but his was Maroon)
1967 Pontiac LeMans
1968 Chrysler Newport
1968 Chrysler Imperial LeBaron
These were all cars with full frames, not unibody construction.....that's why we don't see four door hard tops like these any more. The B pillar didn't go to the roof, but was supported completely by the floor/frame.
Here's a kicker for ya.....a four door convertible - non-suicide doors:
1940 Mercury (by Edsel) Convertible.

As I said in the other post,
I believe the "no post" you folks refer to between the front and back side windows is what used to be the distinction between a "hardtop" and a "sedan" (post between the front and rear windows).
We tend to think of sedans now as four door cars. But I remember growing up during the muscle car era (my Father owned more than a few muscle cars), my Father pointed out the difference between the hardtop and the sedan (regardless of how many doors the car had), and the reinforcement necessary to stiffen the car in case of a roll-over. We see similar frame/body reinforcements made for convertible models offered now, as well as integrated roll-bars.