View Single Post
Old 02-05-2010, 07:19 AM
Thor77

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agree on E85 perception vs reality. High octane and lower mpg is a recipe for performance cars rather than economy.

I believe, having read some articles about E85 in the past, that it adds cost to make the fuel system E85 friendly. Maybe it was not deemed worth it to add the cost of E85 capability, given it's limited availability and the broad perception that it is a "green" rather than a performance fuel.

I was a little surprised that he said the fuel system could not deliver enough E85 to support a proper air-fuel ratio at high loads. E85 has about 75% of the energy density of gasoline, certainly lower but not insanely so. Well...doing the math it seems to make more sense, I guess that would call for about 1/3 more fuel for a given amount of power. (3/4 the density x 4/3 the volume gives an equal amount of energy). So maybe the injectors only have say a 25% safe reserve capacity. There are implications for what this would mean on upgrading the fuel delivery system when making more power, but I think I'm already beyond my engineering expertise

Last edited by Thor77; 02-05-2010 at 07:36 AM.