View Single Post
Old 11-25-2006, 03:03 PM
kelly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 1971 Challenger R/T

Okay Rescue One...Go and get us these few things...VIN and Fendertag. As far as the originality, remember these cars were from the seventies, and have had thirty five years of well, being around thirty five years. Someone during the eighties musclecar craze could have easily replaced the emblems. If it is a 440, great. I have had people swear up and down the 383 is a great motor, and when I was wanting to do a B-R/B engine swap in my '58 coronet, I originally had a 383 in my crosshairs, but got my 440 instead.
To answer your questions...In 1971, you could not get a 440 magnum, only the six pack. So that's out as far as it being original.
-To find the partial vin, there is going to be a flat area at the front of the block, close to the distributor. I believe that the partial will also be cast into the side of the block on the Drivers (?) side. As far as the 727, again it will have the partial (last six digits of the vin) stamped into a raised boss (flat area) on the side of the tranny, close to the shift linkage.
-Five grand? Nah man, just give me the five grand and I will save you all the troubles you will have to endure with this car

An original Six pack car will have all the same accounterments as it's 426 sibling. (E87 fender tag code, "V" in the fifth character on the vin...)
-K Frame with the skid plate
-3/8" Fuel lines
-Torque Boxes in front of the rear springs!!!!
-NO AIR CONDITIONING. EVER.
-Extra Half Leaf on the passenger's side rear spring
-Floor reinforcement over pinoin snubber area.

I can't think of anything else right now, but I know I am missing a few things.

Later
Kelly