View Single Post
Old 12-01-2006, 05:44 PM
RLSH700
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: buying a corvette...

Alright that clears that up. Nice chart. The only thing is you have listed that the GT500 has a 5-speed manual, when it actually has the T-56 Tremec.

Now my response. Yes the LSX block is one of the best when it comes to performance per buck the only problem is the engine has had a few reliability issues, such as they have had piston slap problems, intake failures and the typical GM electrical problems such as sensor failures. It has been my experience that GMs tend to fall apart quicker, so as I said when you buy a Chevy your getting a Chevy.

It really comes down to what you value. My uncle who is going to be retired from Ford soon will still have his family discount plans. I can't remember the specific details but from what he told me, the more options I get with any Ford product, the better deal I get. The GT500 would be the most economically feasable route for me. From what I understand with this plan, I would be immune to dealer mark-ups. I'm going to have to double-check on that to make sure I'm right about this. The thing is I don't care if the Challenger is way more expensive than the GT500, I'll get one no matter how long I will have to save up for it. The reason why is that I'm not sold on their current engine line. When I want a V8 I want a pushrod, not an overhead cam design.

BTW, why exactly are you only considering the 300C SRT-8 and not the Charger. If your concerned about the price of these cars, why not go for the less expensive but equally as fast model?

jdb840, it depends how you look at it. The GT500 might offer the best hp per buck (besides the Mirada), but as Patrick said it needs a big hp and tq boost to catch up with the Z06 and Viper, heck it needs a hp and tq boost to catch up with the C6.

If dealer mark ups are the thing that might cause the price to be around $50,000, then just wait until the demand cools down, it will eventually be affordable.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts