Old 12-22-2006, 07:20 AM
lear4406

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Will the 6.1 hemi and 6 speed be only offered in the SRT's?

I too am at a crossroads, I want a six-speed more than what hemi engine I choose. I would like to get the 6.1, but I would also like to have the MDS. You don't have MDS with the 6.1. I also plan on supercharging the engine. So if I get the 5.7 and I supercharge the motor, it will be putting down some decent #s as far as horsepower and torque. My sons 5.7 in his Daytona seems to move out pretty well and when you think about it the horsepower it is more than what a 383 put out in the 70s. 350 for the 5.7 and 325 for the 383. Weight of the cars are similar. I had a 383 in a 69 Charger R/T. I'm not sure but I think my R/T may of had more torque. But not more horsepower. I'm still weighing it all out. I know you get more with the SRT than with the R/T, as far as brakes and other additions. But I'm not a real patient man. So I may just take the 5.7 if it has a 6-speed and just mod what I want. I would still have 8000-10,000 $ to add to my Challenger before I get into SRT-8 range. I hear that the 6.1 is harder to supercharge than the 5.7. Maybe due to compression????? I'm not real sure why but I will be looking into it. So decisions, decisions.... Whats your take on it.