View Single Post
Old 12-30-2006, 10:59 AM
Jeremiah 29:11
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 Detroit Auto Show

What will they show this year that will get us all excited?

AUTO REVIEW

Almost time for the Detroit auto show

Dreams, schemes and reality
By Ron Amadon, MarketWatch
Last Update: 7:30 AM ET Dec 30, 2006

WASHINGTON (MarketWatch) -- The North American International Auto Show in Detroit is coming up, with the automotive community ready to show off everything from high-powered sports cars to small gas sippers that to the naked eye may not seem like much more than a golf cart with a roof.
To be sure, there will be the usual assortment of bands, music, fireworks, glitz and beautiful women in evening gowns, as well as GM's Bob Lutz denying up and down that he's going to retire, lots of rumors, and the Chinese telling us again that one day they will introduce a car in this country.

We'll be at the press preview days starting Jan. 7, to give a sense of what the automakers are up to in terms of their designers' dream cars as well as the wheels that will be rolling into showrooms in the weeks and months ahead.

Millions and millions of dollars ride on these vehicles, as everyone tries to have the introduction that leaves the cavernous halls of Cobo buzzing. Herewith we run down some of the expected highlights.

First and foremost in our book, it certainly will be interesting to see if the buzz set off last year by the unveiling of the Dodge Challenger and the Chevy Camaro can be matched at this year's extravaganza.

The rumor mill has it that Chevy will display a Camaro convertible this year. If some of the early sketches are anywhere near correct, this one will be a stunner, with a big GM V-8 under the hood. Stayed tuned for that one, boys and girls.

On a much smaller scale, we'll get a look at the Smart car called the fortwo (get it?) that's to hit the U.S. sometime in 2008 -- if all plans work out, that is. This tiny subcompact buzzes around London like a bee. In light of the crowded conditions in many European cities, the little thing makes sense: Along with good gas mileage, it has the ability, as the Brits put it, "to park on your welcome mat."

Roger Penske and his United Auto Group will distribute the fortwo in the U.S., and Penske seldom bets wrong. How small is it? Try 98.4 inches long, or roughly 46 inches short than the Mini. The fortwo will get a 0.7-liter, three-cylinder turbocharged engine that delivers 61 horsepower. (See more at http://www.smartcarofamerica.com.)
In a more conventional vein, Honda will introduce a concept car that should give us a good idea of what the Accord coupe will look when it's introduced in the fall. Both four- and six-cylinder models will be offered.

And Acura, Honda's upscale brother, will debut its "advanced sports-car concept," which could offer up a good clue of what a redesigned NSX might look like. Early drawings show a low-slung car with a high beltline and a pointed rear end. It's a very contemporary look, and we hope Honda will end up producing something pretty close to it.

Now to beg our readers' indulgence: Don't hit the "back" button here, just because we're going to talk about a Lincoln. Ford's luxury brand will unveil the MKR, a sleek-looking coupe with an all-glass roof that has the Lincoln badge etched in. The MKR also boasts a huge grill that's instantly recognizable as a Lincoln. It's one sharp-looking car.
Ford's Jaguar brand (and how much longer will we be able to say that?) will show off the XF Sedan that looks very Aston Martin-like, and that's not a bad thing. The XF's due to replace the S-type, probably in 2008.

General Motors will take the wraps off a new Chevy Malibu, with much emphasis to be placed on interior quality. The Malibu's also getting a new grill that looks a bit like the new Chevy pickups. Cadillac will debut a new CTS. (Aside: GM's big display at the show will be just that, a big display. Measuring 120,000 square feet,
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.