Jeremiah 29:11
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 2007 Detroit Auto Show

Hot event could suggest GM stands for Glamorous Models
January 5, 2007

BY JULIE HINDS

FREE PRESS STAFF WRITER

Celebrities are no strangers to the North American International Auto Show. Celine Dion wowed the charity preview party in 2003. Eva Longoria of "Desperate Housewives" appeared at last year's unveiling of the Dodge Challenger and Chrysler Imperial.

But this year, General Motors is upping the ante on the fame game.

For a pre-show event Saturday in downtown Detroit, it's bringing in enough famous faces to fill several Escalades.

The event, called GM Style, is an invitation-only gathering for about 1,000 movers and shakers. They'll gather at a pavilion built for the occasion east of the Renaissance Center to see a hip runway show that blends cars, stars and designer fashions.

More than a dozen celebrities will appear, including Jennifer Hudson, whose breakout role in "Dreamgirls" is earning rave reviews, and Mario Lopez, the runner-up on ABC's ratings-hit "Dancing with the Stars."

Others: actresses Vivica A. Fox and Cheryl Hines actor Christian Slater and supermodel Petra Nemcova. Carmen Electra will do her thing, and late-night host Jimmy Kimmel will emcee from the red carpet.

Grammy winner John Legend will perform, and Lady Sovereign will open for him.

Why?

The event seems at first glance like an attempt to make consumers look over here at the celebrities and cool cars and not over there at the realities of what could be another tough year for the domestic auto industry.

But those who track the power of celebrities as a marketing tool say it's more than a diversion. By putting on the show-biz glitz for a night, GM could generate publicity far beyond the gear-head world and boost its image.

It'll get GM exposure on the E! channel, not just CNBC.

"The biggest value is the buzz that it creates," said Michael Bernacchi, marketing professor at the University of Detroit Mercy.

Even though people are hurting and worried in metro Detroit because of the auto industry's dilemmas, the auto show is a time for razzle-dazzle.

An event this big is "a reason to talk, to discuss, to look," said Bernacchi .

"Good products are No. 1. But you have to create a buzz for the biz and you don't do that by burying cars underground. The auto show is our version of the Oscars."

'A positive way'

GM's move is a "shrewd and savvy decision," said Ken Baker, who chronicles the lives of celebrities as West Coast executive editor of Us Weekly.

In a way, celebrities and their images are brands, just like cars are, according to Baker. .

"Everyone's aware of GM's problems," said Baker. "The more they sex up their brand, that's only going to serve them in a positive way."

The event is expected to be covered by entertainment-news shows like "Extra" and "Entertainment Tonight."

What's the cost of booking all of the celebrities? Baker estimated it could run from half a million to a million dollars (and that was before GM announced Thursday that Legend and several others would join the event).

Spokesmen from GM declined to discuss price.

In some ways, GM Style is a spinoff of the GM Ten event held annually in Los Angeles around Oscar time. At GM Ten events, stars like Longoria, Lindsay Lohan and Jamie Foxx turn out to model and mingle.

Ed Welburn, GM vice president of global design, described the debut of GM Style as good not just for the company and the auto show, but for Detroit in general.

He also said it's a good venue for introducing the Camaro convertible concept and for showing off concept cars from GM's global design centers.

Seventeen GM vehicles are to be part of the show, ranging from a Buick LeSabre concept to the Saturn Sky Red Line and the Holden EFIJY.

Hollywood stylist Rachel Zoe will work with the celebrities and help them select outfits that complement
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.