View Single Post
Old 01-09-2007, 04:03 PM
RLSH700
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Disappearing Automotive Features

This really makes my family look very outdated. I know of at least one family member who has each of these dying out features. My previous car didn't have power windows and I can tell you, I don't miss them one bit.

I don't like that cassette players are now becoming difficult to find in modern cars. The cassette-tape decks being dropped doesn't matter to me since I never keep my old cassettes in the deck anyways, just on the passenger side floor.

I'm disturbed that they are getting rid of mechincal ways of unlocking the car doors. What if the battery goes dead? I don't like this because some of my doors do not automatically unlock anymore. What are you supposed to do when those go out.

I'm glad to see that lap-only seat belts are going away. They were annoying.

Cars under $13,000 just represents that cars are becoming larger and more luxurious all the time. It doesn't bother me.

I will miss the 85 mph speedometers. There is nothing more comical than to see a car bury a speedometer.

Motorized anntenans were nothing more than a gimmick that would brake as time went on. I'm glad their gone.

The last vehicle we had that had a 3-speed automatic was our 1991 Dodge Caravan. It's amazing to think that in the last 20 years, transmission offer double the gear ratios available in a mainstream vehicle.

I'm glad to see true compact pickups disappear. I hate my brothers S-10. It has all the undesirable features about a truck. Awful fuel mileage, poor ride quality, no cabin room, no power (his only has a 2.8L V6 which was the only option at that time), and it has none of the advantages of a full-sized or mid-sized pickup truck. It can't haul anything significant, it has no power (again the 2.8L V6), etc.

I really don't have much of an opinion about the body-on frame cars. I'm glad to see bench seats go. I like bucket seats way better.

I believe they moved the truck button to the more convient location, below and to the left of the steering wheel. I like full-sized spares so I miss seeing those (in fact, compact spares are starting to disappear in some models, a big mistake). I actually liked the floor-mounted headlight dimmer switch, I'm sorry to see those go. I hated the manual mirrors on my old car; therefore, I'm happy to see those go. The problem is it is difficult and annoying to adjust the passenger side mirror.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts