View Single Post
Old 01-13-2007, 12:09 AM
RLSH700
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: American Carmakers Look for Loyalty

ORIGINAL: TeeWJay426

That kind of loyalty went out the window decades ago.... they need to make what people want, and make them so they last. I'm old enough to remember when 'Made in Japan' meant JUNK.... and watched the whole national mindset change. It isn't going to change back overnight, just like it didn't shift in favor of the imports instantaneously back in the 70's....
Well, I wouldn't say that modern domestic cars are less reliable than Japanese cars, but I think the problem is that they need to start matching their competition's offerings. The new Sebring should have the full H.O. version of the 3.5L if not the 4.0L. They need to get rid of all 4-speeds in their cars, they are outdated and make the engines less fuel efficient and feel weaker than their rivals. T

hey need to offer interiors that will blow away the competition and not be satisfied with hard plastics for Chrysler models because Chrysler is supposed to be a luxury division, not Plymouth or Eagle as it has become. They need to be less concerned about offering higher tech engine and offer engines that are just as powerful and relatively just as fuel efficient (ex. ditch the 2.7L for the 3.3L). They need to stop offering all of those incentives, they kill long-term sales.

They need to match their competition in fuel mileage in every category. The Focus and Cobalt should offer at least one model that can reach 40 mpg to be competitive with the Civic and Corolla. Dodge needs a real economy car because the Caliber is a combact, but it isn't an economy car.

They need to be the benchmarkers, not the followers. When they find the strive to be number one, they will be number one.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts