View Single Post
Old 01-13-2007, 10:25 AM
awsure

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: American Carmakers Look for Loyalty

ORIGINAL: TeeWJay426

That kind of loyalty went out the window decades ago.... they need to make what people want, and make them so they last. I'm old enough to remember when 'Made in Japan' meant JUNK.... and watched the whole national mindset change. It isn't going to change back overnight, just like it didn't shift in favor of the imports instantaneously back in the 70's....
You are exactly right. I worked in the rental car industry in the early 90's and we had Nissan Maxima's and Toyota Camry's up against the Oldsmobile Cutlass and the Buick Century. Mid size cars like the Altima up against a Chevy Corsica. C'mon...hands down they looked better & were more comfortable. We are catching up but momentum takes a long time to recapture in a business where it takes several years to go from concept to production. I won't even mention trade inequities, labor difficulties, etc... I think the quality perception mentioned in the article is a valid perception. Foreign car makers like Toyota & Honda built a reputation of quality because they built quality. While the gap may be more narrow the momentum will remain until U.S. automakers have several years in a row of dominating them in that category. I think they can & will do that.

It will take time but I think DCX is a perfect example of a company that is headed the right direction. I sincerely hope Ford & GM right their ships as well. We will never return to 3-4 car companies though. I think you'll see the market split amongst at least 12-25 majors and then sprinkle in some high-end and specialty logos.