Notices

Hennessey confirms twin turbo for 2008 6.1L Challenger

Old 08-30-2007, 08:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hennessey confirms twin turbo for 2008 6.1L Challenger

Hennessey Motor Sports has confirmed that they will be offering a Twin Turbo setup for the new Challenger. Using the 6.1 L Hemi we are talking ~ 850 Hp with a ~ 10.5 1/4 mile time!

TZ
Old 08-30-2007, 08:41 AM
Administrator

Default RE: Hennessey confirms twin turbo for 2008 6.1L Challenger

great....so not just viper owners can pay top dollar for terrible customer service and missing parts on their vehicles..
Old 08-30-2007, 03:11 PM

Does this include forged internals, the necessary ECM modifications for A/F ratio, timing advance/retard and drivetrain modifications? I'm sure the OEM equipment will not support the boost of twin turbos.
Old 08-30-2007, 07:16 PM

i want one [sm=shades.gif]
Old 08-30-2007, 08:46 PM
Administrator

ive heard so much bad about this company...they do put out some impressive show cars, but yikes...ive spoken with a few viper owners, and they have some nightmarish stories to tell...
Old 08-31-2007, 02:29 PM
Super Moderator

It really is ashame he cannot run a high reputation shop. I mean come on, he is located in the 4th largest city in the country and he doesn't expect people to talk.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 09-01-2007, 08:11 PM
Administrator

have you heard the stories at all?
Old 09-02-2007, 02:04 PM
Super Moderator

I think he has gotten such a bad reputation in the past that he is now trying to change that. I do not know that for sure, but sometimes I read
about somebody getting charged too much or the job was not completed or had problems and others talk about how he went out of his way to help them.

Sounds like a Mr Jekyll and Mr Hyde syndrome.

You have to meet and exceed customers expectations with all customers not just some of them.

Here is an excerpt from an article from Car and Driver 2003:

Hennessey's company has gone though a rough stretch the past few years. Some angry customers accused the Houston tuner of taking their money without delivering cars in a reasonable amount of time. (Editor-in-chief Csaba Csere delved into the matter, and his findings were reported in The Steering Column in September 2002.) Hennessey conceded he'd had problems.

Now he's regrouped, and after 10 years of modifying Vipers, he's downsized and restructured his company (now called Hennessey Performance Engineering), reducing employees from 15 to four.

Here is an excerpt from the September 2002 Car and Driver article mentioned above:

Supercars Can Bite as Hard as They Can Run. - Columns
The Steering Column
BY CSABA CSERE, September 2002

1 | 2

Our second Supercar Challenge begins on page 42 of this issue. We spent two days at Michigan International Speedway flogging 15 machines from the top U.S. purveyors of performance. We not only evaluated the cars' performance but also reported their reliability and the comfort and refinement they offer in street driving.

So, if you have a burning desire to own one of these rockets, you simply write a check to the speed merchant of your choice, and a few months later you're driving a supercar, right? Well, that part of the ride can get a bit rough once in a while.
For example, in April 2001, according to a detailed Internet posting, one eager buyer sent his Dodge Viper GTS, with a check for $122,500, to Hennessey Motorsports in Houston. The check was for converting his stock Viper into a Hennessey Venom 800 Twin Turbo, and it was supposed to be delivered in 12 weeks. Later, the buyer sent an additional $20,000 to pay for a further horsepower boost to 1000. But the owner didn't get the car back in 12 weeks. In fact, some 10 months later, in February 2002, no work had been done on the car—and worse, according to the buyer, several parts had been removed from his stock Viper and sold off! This owner has since filed a lawsuit against Hennessey seeking the return of his car, his $142,500, and the usual "punitive damages."

Another customer with a long-overdue Venom says he went armed with a video camera to confront John Hennessey at his Houston shop. Hennessey reportedly had the customer arrested for making "terroristic threats."
There is, of course, no place in the world where talk is cheaper than on an Internet message board, and a few lurid posts hardly constitute proof of wrongdoing. So I went to the Web site of the Houston Better Business Bureau (www. bbbhou.org) and searched for Hennessey Motorsports. The BBB reported 12 complaints filed against Hennessey in the past 36 months, of which seven were in the past year. Of the 12 complaints, only one was listed as resolved. To put this performance in context, I ran checks with the local BBBs of every participant in our Supercar Challenge. Just one other complaint turned up, against AutoThority, and it was described as "resolved."

Then I went to Dun & Bradstreet, the financial research firm, where for $117 I purchased a comprehensive report on Hennessey Motorsports. For comparison, I also purchased a report on the well-known Lingenfelter Performance Engineering. The report indicated that LPE was financially sound, with no liens, lawsuits, or judgments pending against it. [b]In contrast, the Hennessey report revealed that courts have four times ruled against the company and
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 09-03-2007, 09:49 AM
Administrator

i know a few guys who are very active in the viper world...

stories about cars sitting for MONTHS without having any work done to them..

stories about how someone would drop their car off, and when they would come back, the people there woudlnt let them see their cars, and it turned out that they were using parts off of newer customers vehicles to push out vehicles that had been there longer...ive heard about several instances of this, where people came in and the seats or hoods of their cars were gone...
Old 09-03-2007, 12:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm so glad that I can work on my own cars. If I want to add some power parts, all I have to do is buy it and put it on. I've done this since I attended High School and I enjoy the satisfaction that comes from a sucessful completion of the job. My sons enjoy the same benefit of doing the work themselves and are bitten with the same bug of modding and improving the performance of their cars. Too bad Hennessey had to pick Dodges to mod. But their is a guy who runs a tuner shop that is helping our Dodges and is very reliable. Matt from Dynamic Racing. He started with 3000GTs and Stealths. Now he offers a few products for the Hemi engines. He seems to me to be a guy who backs his products and his customers with reliable results. I look for more products from him and he knows turbos. I would spend a coin with him, before I would risk anything with Hennessey. But I do like to see his cars kick the comp. butts. But... I'm MOPAR through and through.

Quick Reply: Hennessey confirms twin turbo for 2008 6.1L Challenger