Notices
Appearance Talk about your interior and exterior mods here.

Shaker Hood Opinions Wanted!

Old 09-28-2008, 09:24 PM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Shaker Hood Opinions Wanted!

ORIGINAL: kevin2323

shaker hood look good....that is why people get them nowadays....if they didnt look so badass then no one would get them functional or not.
If it is not functional then it would be just a hood scoop because it doesn't have the shakes.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 09-28-2008, 09:47 PM

Trust me I am all for real shaker...... I am just explaining why some people get it anyway.
Old 09-29-2008, 07:45 AM

I would like one just because of it's looks, not really concerned that it doesn't "shake". They just look cool.
Old 09-29-2008, 08:04 AM

Its a nice way to make the car your own, but its like "hood candy". I see a shaker and wonder why on todays cars.

I know, it looks cool.....
Old 09-29-2008, 08:57 AM

So the shaker looks cool on 08-09 Challengers, is anyone going to get a vnyl top??[&:]
Old 09-29-2008, 09:46 AM
Super Moderator

No vinyl top for me, it just adds too much work on the maintenenance and then you have to worry about the potential rust. You can see I took good care of mine in my avatar Challenger. The vinyl was always shiny.

As for a shaker hood, for me it has too look good but also be a performance enhancer. As an example, I just don't like Mustangs with the hood scoop
that don't even have an opening in the front. They are masquerading as something they are not. But that is just me. Some people like this stuff for looks only and that is not me. If you are going to put something that looks like a performance enhancer then it better be a performance enhancer like a hood scoop. It better be scooping.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 09-29-2008, 12:58 PM

just looking cool, that's all that matters...okay, so form over function, is it? If that's the case, why not something less obviously artificial than a shaker hood? Ever see the hood of the new ZR-1 or any number of Ferraris; why not the clear bubble over the engine. It's incredibly cool, and has no intentional function other than to "look cool".
Old 09-29-2008, 01:13 PM

From the two pics. It looks like there is a lot of curvature far from the shaker unit. Makes it a little odd. Could only be the angle of the pics though. Otherwise, it looks good ( might be better on a different color also ). You should also test for HP and make sure that there is no drop ( dont expect a rise ) in HP. Other than this, three questions come to my mind :
[ul][*] Is the unit connected to the hood or the engine and allowed to shake with the engine ? The shaking seems like a must to me.[*] Is the air connected to the manifold cooling vents or the actual engine ? What does the filter look like ? The later makes this sellable in larger volumes as it is arguably more functional than the stock unit.[*] Is the fiberglass/metal combo lighter or heavier than the stock aluminum hood and by how much ?
[/ul]
Old 09-29-2008, 01:40 PM

Default /////////////////

/////////////////
Old 09-29-2008, 01:50 PM

For any vinyl-look lover which do not really want the maintenance of vinyl, there is a way to make false vinyl from paint. I already saw that in a paintshop where I worked. You need to use a tick primer and a special gun. It can then be painted over any color you want. It really looks exactly like vinyl even from very close but it is paint so it is hard, shiny and easy to maintain. It used to be done to replace vinyl roofs in the 70s. Thought I'd throw it out there...

Quick Reply: Shaker Hood Opinions Wanted!