Notices
Challenger News This section is only for articles pertaining to, or containing information about the new Dodge Challenger.

1/8 Drag Tests of SRT & R/T

Old 10-03-2008, 12:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1/8 Drag Tests of SRT & R/T

Mopar Muscle took an SRT and an R/T to the 1/8 mile track for some drag testing. Both cars had a lot of tire spin and were difficult to launch. Here is the article:

Filed under: Mopar News, Dodge Challenger, DAVE YOUNG

"Well, we took a pair of 2009 Challengers to Lakeland drag strip last night and had a blast.

Since we had the 2009 Challenger SRT-8 press car this week, we decided to take it to the drag strip. Instead of making the trek to Bradenton, we drove across town to the Lakeland eighth mile drag strip here in central Florida, for some test and tune time. Of course I had my wife bring our new Challenger R/T out as well so we could see what it would do. It's barely broken in, but I figured a couple of passes wouldn't hurt the process.

As editor Bolig and I quickly found, traction was going to be the limiting factor of the evening. Both cars spun hard no matter who drove them, and the only way we could get any respectable times was to finesse the cars out of the hole at nearly an idle to avoid tire spin. Even so, the six-speed SRT-8 would spin badly going into second, and a little going into third. Third gear carried the car through the traps in the eighth at about 5,600 rpm and 85 mph. My best elapsed time in the SRT was 9.109 in the eighth, which equates to about 14.10 in the quarter.

The R/T automatic had traction issues as well, and I really had trouble getting it to hook up. My wife Amy (who regularly drives the B-3 project, low 10s) ran the best time in the R/T by idling off the line about 20 feet, then easing the gas to full throttle to net a 9.61 in the eighth at 80 mph, again going through the traps in third gear. This equates to about 15 seconds flat in the quarter mile.

Neither car, with any of the drivers on hand, was able to run a sub-two second sixty foot time. This was a combination of a marginal track and stock tires on both cars. Both cars have the potential for better elapsed times as indicated by their mph, but traction is the key. On a better track we could have left harder, and I would suspect the R/T could run 9.30s (14.50s) and the SRT-8 capable of 8.80 (13.80s). Maybe even better.

Even with the traction issues, it was fun to race both cars. And at 4,100 lbs each, the elapsed times weren't bad. Also remember, these cars are bone stock, and the new Challenger is designed as an all-around performance vehicle. Features that make it stop, handle, and ride nicely don't necessarily equate to optimal drag strip performance, but make it a great driving car.

Are either car comparable to a '70 Challenger? Not really, these cars are much more refined, less tiring to drive and far more comfortable, and offer better performance no matter if you compare handling, braking, or acceleration.

Just wait until we start modifying them . . ."

Old 10-03-2008, 01:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 1/8 Drag Tests of SRT & R/T

Thanks for the share but not very impressive 1/8 mile numbers.
Old 10-03-2008, 02:39 PM

I agree. The drivers apparently did not know how to launch the cars and got excessive tire spin- looks impressive but you don't go anywhere!
Old 10-03-2008, 04:46 PM

Traction or the lack of it will always be the difference between like cars. Looks like they drove as well as the track would allow. 1/4 mile times will start to pour in and we shall see where the cars lie in the real world. Thanks for the write up and it looks like the whole family had a great time You guys are so lucky... 2 Challengers to beat on and a whole night of fun at the strip.
Old 10-04-2008, 07:30 PM

i need to see some more tests
Old 10-12-2008, 03:22 PM

Track conditions and density altitude (DA) will play a factor. At one track, it's actually the parking lot at Qualcomm Stadium, which makes for a good parking lot but a crapy track, my 06 Mustang usually gets anywhere from 9.3 to 9.6. At another track my car gets around 9.1 to 9.3. My best time at that track is 8.8. The problem with that track is the DA is around 4500, so my corrected times are mid 8s. Now my point is not to say the mustang is faster than the SRT8 or RT, it's that track conditions play one of the biggest factors.
Old 10-12-2008, 04:19 PM

Default ////////////

////////////
Old 10-14-2008, 11:01 AM

Default RE: Here are my numbers....

Thanks for posting the tests....great to see how well our "big" cars perform...
Old 10-14-2008, 02:35 PM

For you guys/gals that have experimented, what's the best way to launch an SRT. I tried it twice just to see what it would do and had trouble getting out of the hole. It ran strong once I gained traction but lost a lot of time just getting going. Have any of you guys/gals found the sweet spot?

Old 10-15-2008, 04:56 PM

I guess nobody really knows how to drive these yet, huh?
ORIGINAL: RRUNNER

For you guys/gals that have experimented, what's the best way to launch an SRT. I tried it twice just to see what it would do and had trouble getting out of the hole. It ran strong once I gained traction but lost a lot of time just getting going. Have any of you guys/gals found the sweet spot?

Quick Reply: 1/8 Drag Tests of SRT & R/T