Notices
Challenger News This section is only for articles pertaining to, or containing information about the new Dodge Challenger.

2008 Dodge Challenger: Concept to Production

Old 11-13-2007, 04:05 AM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 Dodge Challenger: Concept to Production

2008 Dodge Challenger: Concept to Production

Chrysler knows the 2008 Dodge Challenger will be showing up late to the retro pony car party. The company has carefully foreshadowed the second coming of the long-nosed Hemi-powered contender since Ford proved it could sell the 1965 Mustang all over again in 2005.

Standing on the sidelines while Ford took the initial retro risk saved Chrysler the potential embarrassment of making a bad decision, but Dodge has also been using the Challenger's late arrival to tease buyers and build interest in the forthcoming muscle car. Strategically planted rumors and radical orange concept car renderings in 2005 had the public drooling for sheet metal.

Finally, in January 2006, Dodge unveiled the Challenger Concept at the same venue that saw the debut of Ford's Concept Mustang three years prior, the North American International Auto Show.

A relatively long hood and Chrysler's characteristic gangster window line flow into widened and raised rear haunches, barely housing giant 21-inch wheels, and black stripes of unpainted carbon fiber run the length of the body. There's no disputing it — the Challenger Concept looked positively boss when the sheet was whisked off.

Soon after the car's unveiling, Inside Line visited Chrysler's Pacifica Design Studio in Carlsbad, California, where the 2008 Dodge Challenger Concept was designed. There we interviewed the two men responsible for the car's look. "Early on, we just tried to capture 'Mopar' in the designs," Mike Castiglione told us during our visit. "We tried to capture the beveled edges that were uniquely Mopar back in the muscle car days. If you look at an old Challenger or Charger, the lines have a snap to them. Once we figured that out, then we got more focused." Mike beat out two other designers for the gig and it's fair to say he was the right man for the job.

Two Challenger Concepts were built, both powered by the famous 6.1-liter Hemi V8. The first was a hot orange Challenger Concept designed to be a street car with 425 horsepower. The second, a 525-hp flat-black Challenger Super-stock concept, is shod with massive Goodyear slicks and is good for one thing — knocking off 11.0-second quarter-mile runs.

The concept cars are based on a shortened Dodge Charger platform and are topped with bodies made entirely of carbon fiber. And both are real runners. In fact, we took the orange Challenger Concept out cruising in Southern California to the famous Donut Derelicts car show. Then we drag-raced the flat-black Challenger Super-Stock Concept at the Mopars at the Strip event in Las Vegas.

The release of the 2009 Dodge Challenger won't be the first time Chrysler introduced a car at the tail end of the muscle-car craze — the original Challenger hit the streets in 1970, six years after the Ford Mustang and four after Chevy's Camaro, which will be getting its own resurgence with the release of the 2009 Chevy Camaro. There's a reason the car is named "Challenger."

Late to the party or not, the 2008 Dodge Challenger is poised to crash it. Big time.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 11-13-2007, 05:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 2008 Dodge Challenger: Concept to Production

I tell ya. You have to have a soft spot for the party crashers Late but always the life of the party and loud and obnoxtious. But looking good the whole time... those classic chisled look. The look is timeless.
Old 11-13-2007, 08:40 AM

The author of that article was not accurate. The black 525 hp Super Stock Challenger has a 6.4 Hemi- not a 6.1.
Old 11-13-2007, 04:09 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Cuda340

The author of that article was not accurate. The black 525 hp Super Stock Challenger has a 6.4 Hemi- not a 6.1.
Excellent point. I didn't notice that they said both offered the 6.1L. I actually had to re-read it a couple times to catch that mistake. Good find, Cuda340!

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 11-13-2007, 06:38 PM

where did the article appear?
Steve
Old 11-13-2007, 06:46 PM
Super Moderator

http://www.edmunds.com/il/dodge/chal...42031616&imw=Y

Old 11-14-2007, 04:39 AM

You can tell a die hard car guy from a man who writes an article. Cuda340 is a die hard car guy. Nice catch. I read that article and remember everything about the SS Challenger. But failed to catch the 6.4 mistake.
Old 11-14-2007, 06:08 PM

thanks for the link.
Steve
Old 11-15-2007, 02:43 AM
Super Moderator

De nada, Daddio.

Old 11-16-2007, 04:38 PM