Notices
Challenger News This section is only for articles pertaining to, or containing information about the new Dodge Challenger.

392 HEMI Dodge Challenger Super Stock

Old 10-30-2006, 06:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 392 HEMI Dodge Challenger Super Stock

http://www.autoblog.com/2006/10/30/c...r-super-stock/

Chrysler's SEMA surprise: 392 HEMI Dodge Challenger Super Stock

Posted Oct 30th 2006 6:45PM by John Neff
Filed under: Concept Cars, SEMA, Time Warp, Coupes, Sports/GTs, Dodge

click on image to enlarge

While in the past automakers have always used SEMA to display the individual customizations that can be applied to their production vehicles, Dodge is doing something different this year. For what it claims to be the first time ever, the company has unveiled a concept vehicle that has been customized specifically for the SEMA show. Based on the Dodge Challenger Concept that debuted at the 2006 Detroit auto show, the Dodge Challenger Super Stock Concept is a one-off concept built to commemorate the original HEMI 392 engine, as well as showcase Mopar's new 392 HEMI crate engine. The new 392 can be ordered in one of three variations: a carbureted version that produces 540 horsepower and 490 ft-lbs. of torque, a EFI-version that makes 525 horsepower and 510 ft-lbs. of torque, and a long block version. While Chrysler's press release doesn't indicate which engine the Challenger SS Concept is using, our bet is on the carbureted version. We'll have more details along with lives shots of the car soon, but for now check out more high-resolution pics and Chrysler's press release after the jump.

[Source: Chrysler]

PHOTO GALLERY (click on any image to enlarge:

PRESS RELEASE:

Mopar® Celebrates 50 Years of HEMI® Heaven
with Relaunch of Legendary 392

• The History of the 392 HEMI®
• Dodge Challenger Super Stock Concept with 392 HEMI by Mopar
• 392 Technical Specifications

Center Line, Mich. - Next year marks the 50th anniversary of an engine that revolutionized not only drag racing, but the entire automotive industry as well: The legendary 392 HEMI®. Mention the word "HEMI" to an automotive enthusiast and little else needs to be said. Or, perhaps a lot more needs to be said depending on your perspective.

"The 392 HEMI is a legend so rich in automotive tradition that hundreds, if not thousands, of books and accounts have been written about its historical significance," said Chris Cortez, senior vice president – Global Service & Parts, Chrysler Group."

The History of the 392 HEMI
The original 392 HEMI engine was introduced in the new 1957 model year Chryslers and Imperials. It replaced the 354 cubic-inch version of the original HEMI launched in 1951.
Compared with the 354, the 392 was completely revised and improved, with larger valves and ports, a beefier block and crankshaft, and improved bearings. In short, the 392 HEMI, often referred to simply as the "92," was perfect for drag racing.

More than a few racers bolted on six or eight carburetors, slipped in a hotter cam, tipped some nitro into the tank and went racing. Racing legend Don Garlits ran a 392 in his Swamp Rat I at record speeds of over 180 mph on nitro with no supercharger. Garlits also used a 392 HEMI to officially break the 200-mph barrier when his Swamp Rat went 201.34 mph at Atco, N.J. in 1964.

Dodge Challenger Super Stock Concept with 392 HEMI by Mopar
To further commemorate the legacy of the 392, Chrysler Group and Mopar are unveiling a SEMA first: a concept vehicle tricked out just for SEMA. From Detroit's 2006 North American International Auto Show and a year before its production debut, the stunning Dodge Challenger Super Stock with 392 HEMI by Mopar.

"There was really only one vehicle choice to showcase our new crate motor-the bold, powerful and capable, Dodge Challenger," said Cortez.

One of the most iconic muscle cars of the 1970s, it debuted in the fall of 1969 as a 1970 model. Although it was only produced from 1970 to 1974 (188,600 sold), the Dodge Challenger earned a reputation as one of the most desirable of the original "pony cars," with meticulously restored and rare examples
Old 10-30-2006, 06:41 PM

Default RE: 392 HEMI Dodge Challenger Super Stock

Hope I added the PICS correctly. Love to hear some feedback. I know we all saw a reference to a SS recently and thought it was maybe a typo. Guess not.

Here's your answer to the Shelby!
Old 10-31-2006, 07:57 AM
Super Moderator

Here are the pics for easy viewing.

[IMG]local://upfiles/17/3927DCE6B8C943EBAD5374ADCAB01CF0.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/17/70246ACBCDF84D2ABF5090A8938011BA.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/17/EC739A77C8534D2A839F172C6A04DD69.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/17/23C507A3B1E145DB99A85D3BD4A8DF7B.jpg[/IMG]
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 10-31-2006, 09:09 AM

Thanks... So, I am curious to hear some feedback on this from all those who were concerned about a 500HP response to the Mustang. Is this what you were looking for? I have always preffered a cleaner stock look on cars in general so doesn't really grab me. Maybe a different paint job would do it for me (I am not crazy about the Evel Knievel looking color scheme)

Also interesting that the grill still sports the R/T badge. Does that downplay the missing SRT badge from the 6.1L concept or intensify it? Obviously this version would get an SS on the grill in production right? So maybe the original will get the SRT up front (or maybe I'm reaching).

All in all, it just makes me more anxious...Hurry Dodge!!!![sm=gears.gif]
Old 10-31-2006, 11:44 AM
Administrator

SS is a GM badging...

this car is using the term "super stock" in reference to the NHRA Super Stock class. there is about as good of a chance of that car seeing production as there is the 2 door charger. its got slicks and wheelie bars...however, if someone wanted to run super stock (a class which is currently controlled by GM f-bodies and mustangs) they would have to run the "stock" 6.1L, unless the 392 was offered as a production model. example, the hemi dart, which was a car strictly built for super stock racing.

ive currently been collecting information on the rumors of the Super stock model, but ive come up with nothing, and why are those pictures on that odd background? they look like stock photos, but i cannot find any source of them, and i cannot find any official information on any of the DCX sites, including the media site, or chrysler official media blog, which includes a "SEMA preview" section...[&o]

also, the history information on autoblog is incomplete...but im picky...
Old 11-01-2006, 04:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It appears to me as though Chrysler has paid a really nice tribute to the late Ronny Sox. This car looks very similar to the Mopars Ronny ran in the 70s&80s. I can't think of a nicer way to say thanks Ronny for all you did to make these muscle Mopars so successful. So for all you guys who don't like the paint scheme, know that there is a reason. And if someone will photo shop the SS Challenger in all black, you will see one bad boy. I can't wait until the new Challenger arrives. I should be saving my money for the new Challenger, but so many new products have arrived for my 71 that I keep buying these new products. I'm thinking real seriously of insuring my Challenger and taking it to the street. You guys have a nice day and I'll talk to you later. Randy.
Old 11-01-2006, 09:40 AM

I don't think the purpose of this concept is aimed toward any sort of factory "mass" produced model of the Challenger. I think it is an excersize in "look at how badassed our retro muscle car could be in drag race trim". (Mustang owners and Camaro hopefuls tremble.) Maybe a sign of things to come and maybe just maybe a hint of a bare bones stripper model intended for "enthusiasts". Can you say... "factory superstocker"? I knew that you could! Anyway I can dream can't I?
Old 11-01-2006, 03:36 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: 1 Bad Mirada

SS is a GM badging...

this car is using the term "super stock" in reference to the NHRA Super Stock class. there is about as good of a chance of that car seeing production as there is the 2 door charger. its got slicks and wheelie bars...however, if someone wanted to run super stock (a class which is currently controlled by GM f-bodies and mustangs) they would have to run the "stock" 6.1L, unless the 392 was offered as a production model. example, the hemi dart, which was a car strictly built for super stock racing.

ive currently been collecting information on the rumors of the Super stock model, but ive come up with nothing, and why are those pictures on that odd background? they look like stock photos, but i cannot find any source of them, and i cannot find any official information on any of the DCX sites, including the media site, or chrysler official media blog, which includes a "SEMA preview" section...[&o]

also, the history information on autoblog is incomplete...but im picky...
I'm also having trouble swallowing this. I can't believe that this will be a normal model like an SRT model. It looks like a Challenger that went through the same process that Patrick put his Mirada though. It can't be a normal model with that paint scheme.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 11-01-2006, 07:29 PM

Aw c'mon... you think they couldn't produce 5-10,000 of these and sell them for ~$75k+?

That would be sweet!!!
Old 11-01-2006, 08:37 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: awsure

Aw c'mon... you think they couldn't produce 5-10,000 of these and sell them for ~$75k+?

That would be sweet!!!
They could but I wouldn't bet money on it. It just doesn't seem like part of the line-up in the way they are doing. I hope I'm wrong about this but I don't think it is going to happen.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Quick Reply: 392 HEMI Dodge Challenger Super Stock