Notices
Challenger News This section is only for articles pertaining to, or containing information about the new Dodge Challenger.

The Auto Sleuth

Old 02-03-2008, 07:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The Auto Sleuth

More like 500

2006 Ford Shelby GT-H Hertz Edition
The 2006 Ford Shelby GT-H commemorates the 40-year anniversary of famed Shelby/Hertz GT350H "Rent-A-Racer" program. Shelby and Ford Racing give the Mustang GT V8/automatics extra "show," and added "go" to make the Shelby GT-H a special run of about 500 units that will be available for rent exclusively through the Hertz Fun Collection at select airport locations. The GT-H packs Ford Racing performance and handling with the classic Shelby Black & Gold Hertz look.
http://www.mustangheaven.com/stangsp...6shelbygth.htm

PS: I'm not sure about 2006 thru 2008, but evidently there were 160,412 total Mustang units produced in MY 2005. Also discovered mine is one of only 641 (GT coupe in redfire metallic clearcoat w/ manual tranny with dark charcoal/red interior) AKA the interior upgrade package & interior color accent package. Sure gonna hate to see her gallop off into the sunset, but I know what's waiting for me down the trail. A 2009 R/T Challanger with a 6-speed manual in HEMI Orange Pearlcoat or Plum Crazy Purple! Exterior color is gonna be a "gametime decision", provided Purple is even in the offering for 2009. YEEEEEHAAAAAW!
http://www.mustangheaven.com/Product...197Mustang.htm

ORIGINAL: Justinec101

And about 83,000 of them went to hertz...........
Old 02-03-2008, 08:11 AM
mac

I agree with your entire statement except for the "slower" part. The electric engine powered cars are faster than the combustion engine. We have a guy in Portland Oregon that races his electric and usually beats everyone in his class. He was featured in the Wall Street Journal about a year ago. No one wants to race against him because of the stigma of being beat by an electric.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB118593442187584293.html
Old 02-03-2008, 08:25 AM

Electric motors have the advantage of constant torque, so they have higher torque right off the line rather than an increase in torque with increased rpm's as the internal cumbustion gas powered engines. The other advantage is the weight of the batteries gives a traction advantage. The combination of these facts and physics definately works to the advantage of the electrics. They don't sound near as nice though!
Old 02-03-2008, 08:41 AM

See the hp/tq created by an electric car at this link. It far exceeds even the SRT8 Challenger.

https://dodgechallenger.com/forums/m_23229/tm.htm
Old 02-03-2008, 10:33 AM
Administrator

so one electric car is fast? i could also say that dodge miradas are fast, and i can provide 3 or 4 examples of miradas that will stomp 95% of the new cars sold in the world...

that electric mustang is 80,000 dollars plus the cost of the mustang (25,000ish), it has a lower top speed than my stratus, and sounds like it has similar stated 0-60 to the mirada (the mirada cost around 7,000 with parts). mind you, those performance numbers are mentioned, ive never seen an electric car run anywhere near that fast, but im sure that theyre fairly accurate. it will also only go 100-125 miles when "conservatively driven", and im guessing that doesnt include many 130mpg romps or many digs from 0-60 in 4 seconds. however, for the discussion, ill use their performance and "fuel cost" numbers.

it costs "around 2 cents per mile" and has a range of 100-125 miles. that means that you can drive up to 62.5 miles away with the realistic hopes of getting home, unless youre always driving somewhere that has plugs in the parking lot, assuming that it uses a standard connection.

say that you have a 50 mile one way commute, which i did in the stratus for about 3 years. 100 miles a day at the 25mpg that the stratus averages...means that i use 4 gallons of gas for my work commute...the current price here is around 3 bucks a gallon, so i would spend about 12 dollars a day in gas to go 100 miles..thats 12 cents a mile. in a car that doesnt get all that good of mileage.

the cost of the 300EV is around 104,000 (80,000 mod cost + 24,000 ford cost), and the cost of my stratus was about 25,000. that is around an 80,000 dollar difference with tax, title, other stuff...

so my annual fuel costs if i didnt drive anywhere else, and i went to work for the required amount of time under most salary contracts (2080 hours, divided by 8 hour days is 260 days) would be 12 dollars a day times 260 days, or 3120 USD.

that mustang making the same trip, the same number of times, but only paying 2 cents per mile, would be spending 2 dollars a day, or 520 dollars per year...saving you 2600 a year in gas costs.

to absorb the price difference of buying the car based on fuel economy, you would have to drive that mustang "conservatively" to work for the next THIRTY YEARS. (104,000-25,000=79,000 79,000/2600=30.38 years)

they express the "fuel cost" as being 2 cents a mile where cars that arent practically make believe are expressed in MPG. everyone thinks "wow, 2 cents per mile is cheap", but for a car that gets 30mpg at 3 bucks a gallon, its only spending 10 cents a mile, and at that rate, it will take forever to absorb the price difference in the two vehicles.

honestly, who wants to drive a car for 30 years? who really thinks that any ford product will last 30 years?

lets talk about something breaking. just a trip to the local...ummm...electric auto repair shop? i dont know of any of those, and even if i did, i bet that its not cheap. i bet that the 75 bucks and hour price of the dealership looks like a deal compared to what these super specialized E-car mechanics charge, not to mention the rare parts.

so, a very very expensive car that is slower than my stratus and about even in the 0-60 with my mirada (if those numbers are accurate), that will likely cost a fortune to repair and it has to last 30 years to BREAK EVEN with my stratus rt based on fuel costs and purcahse price...

doesnt sound like a great deal to me. its alot like driving 2 hours to get gas for 5 cents a gallon less than the shop2 miles away.
Old 02-03-2008, 12:44 PM
Super Moderator

Even the fast Electric Tesla car did not meet DOT standards for crash testing and it may get a waiver.

I guess just don't crash in the car.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 02-03-2008, 09:02 PM
Administrator

because we all know, when you get liquified by a semi hitting you head on, its good to be getting slightly better cost per mile than a car that did pass those tests...
Old 02-04-2008, 04:32 AM

Where I live it gets cold and dark in the winter, and my neighbor, that has a Hybrid Camry, says his engine is always running when it is cold and/or dark, can you still go a mile for 2 cents then? What do I do if I am stuck in traffic (when cold or dark) and need to fill up do I just ask my boss for a days vacation so I can fill up at my nearest electric station? My goodness I never thought of this, why don't I just park under a street light and use the solar charger on the roof of my car? Na then I would need 2 days vacation and get arrested for stealing from the city's power grid.
Maybe in 10 years when the battery technology (if ever) lets me actually drive 300 miles in real world (not sunny SoCal) conditions I would consider electric as an option.
Old 02-04-2008, 06:13 AM
Super Moderator

Again, check out ZapX at www.zapworld.com. :-)