Notices
Challenger News This section is only for articles pertaining to, or containing information about the new Dodge Challenger.

Challenger is not picked for NASCAR

Old 09-04-2006, 04:24 PM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Challenger is not picked for NASCAR

Harvick reducing Busch races in '07

Posted: September 3, 2006

Greg Engle
Sporting News NASCAR Wire Service

FONTANA, Calif. -- Kevin Harvick announced over the weekend at California Speedway that he will not run a full Busch Series schedule in 2007.
Harvick, who has a commanding 567-point lead in the NASCAR Busch Series standings, said Saturday he will compete only in companion events in 2007. Companion events are those races that are held at the same tracks and during the same weekends as NASCAR Nextel Cup Series events.

GORDON HAS A HANDLE ON FONTANA HEAT

A temperature of 104 degrees at race time Sunday didn't have a negative effect on the drivers, Jeff Gordon said.

"You know what, when you are in the racecar you really don't think about it much," Gordon said. "When a caution comes out, or sitting in the garage area, you realize how hot it is. When you are out there at that speed, you are so focused on what is going on you don't really pay any attention to how hot it really is, even though it is really hot."

NEW DODGE NOSE FOR 2007 NOT THE CHALLENGER

The new Dodge nose recently approved by NASCAR for 2007 will be based on the current production model Charger and not the new Challenger being introduced in 2008, according to NASCAR officials.

Dodge team owners sought the change for the nose after they felt that was the area of the Charger that was causing the models to be less competitive than Chevrolet or Ford.

"Hopefully it will make the car not so sensitive when we're in traffic," said Robby Loomis, director of competition at Petty Enterprises, which fields the Dodges of Bobby Labonte and Kyle Petty. "A lot of the talk between Bobby and Kasey Kahne and those guys has been that when they're up near the front, the car's a really good car, but when they get back in traffic, it seems to change a lot. I think it will bring a little less side force and maybe a little less sensitivity to the front end."

The Charger, first reintroduced to NASCAR in 2005, has struggled to maintain a competitive balance with the other makes. Going into Sunday's Sony HD 500, Dodge had posted eight wins to Chevrolet's 31 and Ford's 21 since the return of the Charger at Daytona.

Loomis agreed that the front end was the area that has been giving Dodge teams the most trouble and the new nose should help.

"It seems to be just something that we've struggled with a little bit on and off, and I think it will calm the front end down and put it in line more with the (Ford) Taurus, to be honest with you."

For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 09-04-2006, 11:04 PM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Challenger is not picked for NASCAR

I'm actually glad that they aren't going to. I consider it an insult that the NASCAR Charger is based on an old Ford platform, not an actual Chrysler design using an engine that is retired.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts