Notices
Challenger News This section is only for articles pertaining to, or containing information about the new Dodge Challenger.

Chicago Auto Show News

Old 02-01-2008, 11:20 AM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chicago Auto Show News

http://searchchicago.suntimes.com/au...camaro.article

January 31, 2008
BY IRA SIEGEL SouthtownStar Auto Reporter

As an automotive enthusiast, I am eagerly awaiting the arrival of the all-new Chevy Camaro and Dodge Challenger. When both of these iconic models return to the marketplace, it will officially mark the return of the “pony car” wars. I can hardly wait.

For Challenger fans, the wait has been long. It’s been about 34 years since the rear-drive two-door model was last offered.
PHOTO GALLERY

Challenger sneak peak

And thank you Chrysler for picking the 2008 Chicago Auto Show as the venue for unveiling the Dodge Challenger production model.

Dodge Challenger

I became a Challenger fan back in the early 1980s when a friend refurbished a 1970 Challenger T/A. If his T/A’s awesome Sublime (green) paint and black accent stripes didn’t grab your attention, then the shaker hood and 340 six-pack muscle would.

The short-lived rear-drive Challenger (1970 - 1974) has been a popular choice for enthusiasts and collectors, especially the 1970 vintage.

Watch for the limited-edition 2008 Dodge Challenger SRT8 to move out of showrooms as quickly as they arrive.

This SRT8 performance version of the new 2008 Challenger will feature Black, Silver or HEMI Orange paint accented by retro-themed hood stripes. Also, the 2008 Dodge Challenger SRT8 will feature a numbered dash plaque and a 6.1-liter HEMI V8 engine with an estimated 425+ horsepower.

While all of these limited-edition models may be spoken for, James Press, Chrysler’s new vice chairman and president, says, “The Challenger SRT8 is only the beginning of the story, as we’ll soon follow with a complete lineup of Challenger models that will offer a wide array of features and deliver outstanding value for our customers.”

That’s great news for Challenger fans and I wouldn’t be surprised to see a Challenger convertible in the near future.

Chevrolet Camaro

The wait for a new Camaro hasn’t been as long as Challenger, but those that are passionate about Camaro were hugely disappointed when General Motors pulled the plug in 2002.

Camaro enthusiasts spoke and GM listened. Chevy unveiled the Camaro concept at the 2006 North American International Auto Show in Detroit. Again, enthusiasts spoke as they begged GM to go ahead with production.

GM has again listened and the Camaro will be built. The 2009 Camaro will be almost identical to the concept, a modern representation of the 1969 model, considered by many to be the best design of the car’s first generation.

Once the Camaro coupe debuts, expect to see a convertible model shortly thereafter. There hasn’t been much said regarding Camaro powerplants, but I anticipate there will be V-6 and V-8 power along with a high-performance model to compete against the Challenger SRT8.

Some may criticize the retro styling themes of the new Camaro and Challenger, but I like what I see. I foresee initial sales to indicate that there’s a strong demand for these vehicles.

The big question, though, is whether these new “pony cars” will sustain enough consistent popularity to remain viable offerings into the future. I hope that’s the case.
See, I hope Jim Press is the visionary he is purported to be and takes the bolded statement above and runs with it. He should extend this thought beyond the challenger and make this a mission statement. He should produce innovative cars that provide value and QUALITY. Hopefully he's good.

Old 02-01-2008, 11:42 AM

Default RE: Chicago Auto Show News

Lets hope so!
Old 02-01-2008, 11:52 AM

Yea baby!!
Old 02-01-2008, 05:05 PM

Dodge's resuscitation as well as that of Chrysler hopefully is eminent with Jim Press in hand. Thus far, he's only skimmed the surface.