Notices
Challenger News This section is only for articles pertaining to, or containing information about the new Dodge Challenger.

Chrysler confirms Challenger SRT-8

Old 08-31-2007, 12:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chrysler confirms Challenger SRT-8

Chrysler confirms Challenger SRT-8
Posted Aug 31st 2007 2:31PM by John Neff
Filed under: Coupes, Sports/GTs, Chrysler

We feel a "Thank you, Captain Obvious" is in order for this piece of news that was published all the way back on July 12th within the walled garden of Ward's Auto. The news is simply that Chrysler has confirmed it will build an SRT-8 version of the upcoming Challenger pony car. Chrysler, sorry, the NEW Chrysler, has never issued a release to our knowledge confirming it will sell the Challenger SRT-8, but again, we don't need one because they'd be crazy not to.

All current SRT-8 products use Chrysler's 6.1L HEMI V8, so we would expect the same powerplant for the Challenger SRT-8 producing 425 horsepower and 420 ft-lbs. of torque. However, considering how many high-powered variants of the Mustang are offered, and that Chevy will certainly offer a comparably high-powered version of the Camaro, we expect the SRT-8 to break rank with its siblings and have considerably more power than we're used to seeing in an SRT-8 product. In fact, we may reasonably expect all SRT-8 models to get an commensurate bump in power after the Challenger SRT-8 debuts in late 2009, especially with some like the Dodge Charger, Magnum and Chrysler 300 switching from the current LX platform to a new one code named LY.

BTW - Less than 159 days remain until the production Chrysler Challenger debuts at the Chicago Auto Show next February (check the countdown clock).

Old 08-31-2007, 12:29 PM

Default Challenger SRT-8 - Fuel not an issue

Chrysler confirms SRT-8 Challenger
Published by spandrei on Tagged Released

According to Ward’s Auto, Chrysler confirmed that a high-performance version of the new Dodge Challenger will be built. The SRT-8 Challenger is expected to come in 2009 and will be based on the next-generation LX platform, the LY. The current platform, LX is used at the Chrysler 300 and Dodge Charger sedans and the Dodge Magnum.

The SRT-8 Challenger will have a 6.1L, Hemi V8 and according to Steve Landry, executive vice president of NAFTA sales, global marketing, service and parts for Chrysler, the price of the fuel will not affect the sales due to its big gasoline engine.“In recent research with SRT owners, the price of fuel does not come up on the radar as something that concerns them,” said Landry.

[source ward’s auto]

Old 08-31-2007, 02:10 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Challenger SRT-8 - Fuel not an issue

Ward's Auto: Chrysler Confirms Challenger SRT8
August 31, 2007
By Ray Wert

While this may be old news for some, we still think it's important to note that as of mid-July, Ward's Auto was claiming the

"Chrysler Group has confirmed that it will build a high-performance version of the Dodge Challenger. It is expected to launch sometime after the 2009-model base car rolls out. The SRT-8 Challenger will be based on the next-generation LX platform, the LY."

But are we sure we believe Ward's -- I mean, they do know the first year of the car's going to be a 2008 model year, right? Or do they mean an SRT won't come out until the 2009 model year -- the second year of the newly re-born muscle car from the Ram's Horn-y brand? Also by "LY" platform -- do they mean "LC" platform? Are they the same? We're so confused.

For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 09-05-2007, 05:42 AM

Has anyone heard of the possible release date for the SRT-8 version of the Challenger?
Old 09-05-2007, 09:59 AM
Super Moderator

I really hope the SRT-8 has the 6.4L but I guess I could live with the 6.1L quite comfortably.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 09-05-2007, 10:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Funny... when the 6.1 came out, I thought it was awsome that they had a 425hp bruiser. But now I've heard of a 6.4 with 525hp and I want it in the Challenger. And still yet rumors of a 7.0 426 with 600+. Guess what I want now? I'm like a kid in a candy store. A 5.7 will do just fine... but noooo now I want the biggest and the baddest with a 6-speed. I'll settle for the 6.1 also and the hp will be more than what I need.
Old 09-05-2007, 04:05 PM
Super Moderator

I will take mine with a 6.4L and a 6-speed manual? Thank you very much. Now if you want to entice me with a 7.0L that is okay too.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 09-05-2007, 08:39 PM
Super Moderator

That's the way I am. Also, I want Chrysler to remain competitive against the competition. I feel that they are starting to loose their focus and getting lazy. The engines offered in the Charger and other LX cars should not be carried over to the Challenger without an update. They are letting their engines go without a proper update between models and this is why they keep failing behind, not only this but take a look at the other car manufacturers. Not only do most of them update their engines during their updated models but some update them in the middle of the production run; meanwhile, Chrysler likes to keep warming over engines from previous models and currently likes detuning them for some unknown reason.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts