Notices
Challenger News This section is only for articles pertaining to, or containing information about the new Dodge Challenger.

Chrysler workers 'apprehensive'

Old 02-09-2007, 06:27 PM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chrysler workers 'apprehensive'

30K cars for the whole world.........we will be lucky to see a few around town.

Chrysler workers 'apprehensive'

PETER CRISCIONE

02/09/07 00:00:00

Employees of Brampton's DaimlerChrysler plant are feeling "apprehensive" after union leader Buzz Hargrove advised autoworkers this week to expect sweeping job cuts.
Hargrove did not provide exact details as a result of a confidentiality agreement, but confirmed DaimlerChrysler is planning to scale back production in Ontario as part of restructuring efforts.

The union boss warned of job cuts after a meeting with company officials on Tuesday, and after information leaked to the media suggested 900 jobs at the Brampton plant might be under the gun.

Nothing is official yet but a local union representative told The Guardian employees are "bracing themselves for something big."

"A lot of employees are anticipating this announcement next week," said Ardis Snow, Brampton plant union chair. "A lot of people are expecting something dramatic to happen. We read all of these things (in the newspaper) that talk about Chrysler axing jobs. And so there is definitely some worry on the shop floor as to what exactly is coming down."

The company reported that it experienced massive financial losses in 2006, and word is the unveiling of the North American restructuring plan on Wednesday will include job cuts to offset poor performance.

Earlier this week, Snow said officials of Local 1285, the branch of the Canadian Auto Workers union that represents Chrysler employees, had been in discussions with the company recently and left feeling confident Brampton would not be one of the locations impacted by restructuring efforts.

The possibility of losing the 900 jobs, the third shift, comes as the Brampton facility is expected to start production on the Dodge Challenger muscle car.

Despite offering assurances to Chrysler employees, Snow conceded workers are nonetheless worried.

"Everyone has pretty much been around here for years and have seen some rough times and so they are bracing for it and not running around yet going crazy," Snow said. "But there is always that worry of where this is going to leave us as a plant. They're asking themselves these questions and wondering 'where is it going to leave each employee to be able to afford for their family?' Absolutely there is always some nervousness and some apprehension as to what exactly is going to be coming down the pipe."

Snow added additional union representatives have been brought into the Chrysler facility to speak to employees "to let them know what's been happening."

The Brampton plant employs roughly 3,900 people and the yet-to-be announced production of the Dodge Challenger could be regarded as a welcomed boost, considering the facility has seen demand for other vehicles such as the Chrysler 300 sedan and Dodge Charger drop considerably.

However, information leaked to the media this week suggests the anticipated production volume of the new Challenger this year---the number reported is around the 30,000 mark-- won't be enough to maintain the Brampton plant's third shift.

Stuart Schorr, senior communications manager with DaimlerChrysler, called the news speculation and would not offer comment.

He said people will simply have to wait for DaimlerChrysler to make their announcement next week.

For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.