Notices
Challenger News This section is only for articles pertaining to, or containing information about the new Dodge Challenger.

Colors More than Skin Deep?

Old 10-04-2010, 05:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Colors More than Skin Deep?

Road & Track magazine's website contained an interesting article regarding paint colors. Here is what it had to say about the Challenger:

For some makes and models, color can add enormous value. When it comes to 1960s-era muscle cars, Fairbairn says the whole vehicle is valued according to what color it was when it left the factory. “God help you if it was hideous green,” says Fairbairn with a chuckle. Whether the owner likes it or not, the car is more valuable in an unattractive but entirely original color scheme.

Fairbairn explains that buyers of certain classic Chrysler muscle cars, for example, will pay up to “one third more” for cars finished in wacky period colors like “Plum Crazy” purple. No wonder Chrysler brought back some of these lurid hues for its modern lineup of vehicles, including the Challenger coupe.
1970 Plymouth AAR 'Cuda 2D (Color: Plum Crazy)

“Chrysler understands that there’s a strong emotional bond drivers can have with their cars, and color takes that feeling and personalizes it,” says Jim Parker, Head of Chrysler’s Exterior Color & Trim Studio. “Think about it; the color of a car can really make or break a great design.”

“When we developed the new Challenger tribute colors, we went back in our archives and found the original color standards that were developed in the late-60s for these wild colors,” says Parker. These Challenger tribute colors have included “TorRed,” “B5 Blue” and, of course, “Plum Crazy.”

“We're topping off the 2010 model year now by introducing a limited run of new Furious Fuchsia, a tribute to the outrageous 70’s color Panther Pink,” says Parker.

Read the entire article at:

Car Colors - 2010 Most Popular Car Colors at RoadandTrack.com

Last edited by Cuda340; 10-04-2010 at 05:15 PM.
Old 10-15-2010, 11:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Definitely an interesting phenomenon. For the hardcore collector, I could see how it might matter what the original color was. To me, who would just want to drive the car, I would care more about what color it is at present. Color, to me, is not something inherent to the car, it is like clothing, and can be changed at will. Engine swaps are a little different, especially as there were often other factory upgrades on cars that have the better engine. (ie, the current SRT-8)