Notices
Challenger News This section is only for articles pertaining to, or containing information about the new Dodge Challenger.

Demand for Challenger could drive price through the roof

Old 12-12-2007, 07:08 PM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Demand for Challenger could drive price through the roof

http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/b...13265228c.html

I think Mr. Higgins is engaing in hyperbole. Don't fear I'm sure this is adding "flare" to his writting

TIM HIGGINS: Demand for Challenger could drive price through the roof
-- Detroit Free Press
Published: Wednesday, December 12, 2007
DETROIT Sure the sticker price for the new 2008 Dodge Challenger SRT8 is $37,995, but good luck finding that price on a showroom floor.

Several dealers are saying to expect to pay more - much more - if you want to be taken seriously to purchase the new muscle car that comes out next spring.

Chrysler has said it will sell fewer than 10,000 of the Challenger SRT8s - the first model in the return of the classic nameplate.

Some dealers are telling customers that only 4,500 will be made; others tell the Detroit Free Press they've been told around 5,500. The company isn't saying.

Chrysler LLC says more than 6,000 people have already pre-ordered the vehicle at dealerships across the country.

One Dodge dealer in New York already has bidding up to $50,000 on the online auction site eBay. Other dealerships are simply asking customers: How much are you willing to pay over sticker price?

"Be the first one in your neighborhood to own the all new redesigned 2008 Dodge Challenger SRT8!!" Brian Hopper of Friendly Dodge in Penn Yan, N.Y., wrote in his ad on eBay.

Hopper told the Detroit Free Press he was inspired by how prices went sky high when special editions of the Ford Mustang first came out.

"We've had a lot of calls," he said.

Other dealers already have bids or are asking for $15,000 over the MSRP.

"Every dealer in the country is going to get one, and after that we're not sure how many we're going to get. They are basing it on how many cars we've sold in the past," said Darryl Pavlik, co-owner of Colonial Dodge in Eastpointe. "I'd heard they're going to bring $30,000 over sticker."

He added, "We're kind of thinking that we'll see what the market is going to bear."

Car shopper Bob Monaghan, 60, said a dealer told him that the cars would be selling for $80,000 to $90,000. "He started chuckling and said, `It's all for the high rollers,'" he said.

Old 12-13-2007, 03:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Demand for Challenger could drive price through the roof

I'm so glad I'm a patience man and I don't have tons of money. OK It would be nice to have tons of money But since I don't, I guess I'll lean on my patience and buy later in 2008 or early 2009. Also I want a 6-speed manual or so I keep telling myself. But I will own a new Challenger and after waiting out the high rollers I'll get the deal I want
Old 12-13-2007, 03:42 AM

I am so glad to hear I am not the only person who feels throwing lots of extra dollars at the dealer is wrong. I too will be patient and wait for the choice of drivelines and colors. I was a mechanic at a Dodge dealer when the '92 Viper was introduced. There are a lot of similarities in all the hype with the Challenger and what it was like then. The sticker on the Viper was under $50,000 and the dealers were adding another 50-75 thousand in additional dealer markup and getting it! Some got ultra greedy and held out for more and got stuck with them. Today(15 years later) that ultra rare one of 162 produced collector’s items would be lucky to fetch its original sticker price at any high roller auction or on EBay. The dealer is just doing what dealers do, making the monthly numbers. It is the fool with the disposable dollars who will drive the price up and fall prey to the smooth talking dealers.
Old 12-13-2007, 04:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree. It is foolish to pay way over MSRP. The smart thing is to wait until some of the hype dies down and buy a Challenger in early 2009.

Those collectors buying for appreciation value may never see big $$$ for 30 years, if ever.
Old 12-13-2007, 05:39 AM

ORIGINAL: Cuda340

I agree. It is foolish to pay way over MSRP. The smart thing is to wait until some of the hype dies down and buy a Challenger in early 2009.

Those collectors buying for appreciation value may never see big $$$ for 30 years, if ever.
Exactly my thoughts also.
Old 12-13-2007, 10:45 AM

DIDO
Old 12-13-2007, 05:09 PM

patience is the name of the game. While I would love tooling around the streets as soon as our Challenger is out in the spring, I have made it two years now and waiting 'til late next fall or early into '09 is the only way to get real value.
Old 12-13-2007, 07:10 PM
Super Moderator

I will wait until in can get the powertrain and engine configuration I want ....... like 6-speed/6.5L.....VVT/MDS is icing on the cake.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 12-13-2007, 09:20 PM

ORIGINAL: Jeremiah 29:11

I will wait until in can get the powertrain and engine configuration I want ....... like 6-speed/6.5L.....VVT/MDS is icing on the cake.
Yup, I understand I have to pay for what I what I want to play with so I'm not expecting my vehicle purchuse to be below 30G. But, I'm not paying no frivilous amount... err, let me rephrase that. My wife won't let me.
Old 12-14-2007, 05:16 AM
Super Moderator

MGDMike, I wear the pants in my house.

When my wife let's me!

That old gag!

Quick Reply: Demand for Challenger could drive price through the roof