Notices
Challenger News This section is only for articles pertaining to, or containing information about the new Dodge Challenger.

Dodge Challenger (2008-) Review

Old 07-02-2008, 08:17 AM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dodge Challenger (2008-) Review

http://www.channel4.com/4car/rt/dodg...lenger/23660/2

I think the Limey's like it?

Muscle cars are as politically correct as Bernard Manning in a Nazi uniform these days, but that hasn't stopped America's big three makers reincarnating the genre. Neither has it stymied the buzz of excitement surrounding the rebirth of classic names that, until recently, seemed dead and buried.

Ford was first with its latest Mustang, the success of which was sufficient to spur Chevrolet into producing a remake of the Camaro. Chrysler's Dodge Challenger has now made it a threesome.

Like the other two, the Challenger apes the shape of its classic forefather; it's big and brash enough to make a Porsche Boxster seem positively puny; and even pictures of it will prompt tree huggers to knit letters of protest. So it should tick all the right boxes for most car enthusiasts.

What Dodge's designers tried to do was recreate everyone's memory of the original Challenger. They kept the hooded headlights, long bonnet (complete with vents) and what they call the character line that runs from stem to stern, which we all remember so fondly. Thankfully, they've binned the overbodied look of the original with that beaky nose that most of us have forgotten about...

The result is a handsome car that's also rather imposing, but that's simply because of its sheer size. The Challenger is based on the same running gear as Chrysler's 300C and is only four inches shorter than its sister saloon. So although Chrysler bosses say there are currently no plans to make a right-hand drive version, it'll be mighty easy for them to change their corporate mind.

Sadly, a pricing tweak will reflect that move. Currently the top SRT8 model sells in the US at around £20,000 - for a 6.1-litre V8! Drivers with more of a conscience can plump for a 5.7-litre R/T or the 'fuel efficient' 3.5 SE. But whichever model they go for it's safe to say that this car won't be bought by people worried about the price of petrol.
When you look at the assets on the page bulleted....says great in a straight line, I'm wondering if this person actually tested one? I keep remembering people stating "remarkably nimble", maybe w/ caveats for the portage....but.....

I like the rhetoric in the article more than the ratings...

Old 07-02-2008, 05:17 PM

Default RE: Dodge Challenger (2008-) Review

Odd how they listed them as Mustang Camaro Challenger... like the Camaro is already out and about.

I personally like the observation "even pictures of it will prompt tree huggers to knit letters of protest. So it should tick all the right boxes for most car enthusiasts."

Short editorial comment... but sweet nonetheless.
Old 07-02-2008, 05:45 PM

I opted for the hood over the "long bonnet" :-)
Old 07-02-2008, 05:57 PM