Notices
Challenger News This section is only for articles pertaining to, or containing information about the new Dodge Challenger.

Dodge Challenger SRT8 is gawker magnet

Old 05-19-2008, 12:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dodge Challenger SRT8 is gawker magnet

[quote]G. Chambers Williams III: Dodge Challenger SRT8 is gawker magnet

Web Posted: 05/15/2008 09:20 PM CDT

One of the most fun aspects of my job is getting to drive exciting new cars that most people haven't even seen yet.

When I get one of those, and take it out for testing, it's common to have people flock around me wherever I happen to stop with the vehicle.

But in 25 years of doing auto reviews, I'd never seen the extreme reaction to a new vehicle as I did this past week while driving the 2008 Dodge Challenger SRT8.

This was a special treat, as the car I tested was a pre-production model that eventually will end up in the crusher because it's not legal for sale. Production of the Challengers that are destined for dealer lots began May 8 at the Brampton, Ontario, assembly plant — the day after my test vehicle arrived in my driveway.

That made my tester a rare bird indeed, as there weren't yet any Challengers at dealerships anywhere. And besides that, the 2008 model is a limited edition — just 7,000 will be made, and all of them already have been pre-sold. High gas prices or not, you won't find any of these lingering on dealer lots.

Just stopped at traffic lights, the car drew crowds. At one point, at a red light in front of an auto-parts store, what appeared to be the entire store staff came out to the curb to see the Challenger, and most of them had cameras in hand.

“It's a dollar a snap,” I teased that group, adding, “I've gotta pay for the gas for this thing somehow.” They had a good laugh, and kept snapping.

My test vehicle, with its bright silver metallic exterior paint and retro dual black hood stripes, probably wasn't as noticeable as this car would be in the Hemi orange color that's also offered (along with “brilliant black crystal pearl coat'), but that certainly didn't serve to hide it in any way.

It was an instant hit just driving down the road, and especially at any parking lot — supermarket, department store, mall, restaurant, you name it.

But almost to a number, the gawkers were men. For some reason, most of the women who saw men going gaga over the Challenger just looked at me and rolled their eyes with a “Boys will be boys” kind of expression on their faces.

“It's really a man thing,” my own wife declared. “You realize you're driving a guy magnet.”

Whatever.

Attention or not, the car was a hoot to drive, even though there were no roads that allowed me to give it a true test of its abilities, and I didn't have the opportunity to take it onto a track during my week behind the wheel.

Chrysler says the car can go 170 mph, which is impressive, but certainly not legal anywhere in the United States except on a closed track.

The '08 Challenger SRT8 (base price $37,320 plus $675 freight), which officially goes on sale in June, is a precursor to the full Challenger line that will make its debut this fall as 2009 models. The SRT8 comes with the biggest engine that will be offered in the Challenger, a 6.1-liter Hemi V-8 rated at 425 horsepower and 420 foot-pounds of torque.

For 2009, an R/T model will be added, with a 5.7-liter Hemi engine, and there will be a V-6 powered SE model as well.

In the 2008 model, only a five-speed automatic transmission is offered; when the 2009 SRT8 arrives, it will be available with the automatic or a six-speed manual gearbox, and a limited-slip differential will be optional as well.

Based on the architecture of the Dodge Charger and Chrysler 300, which come down the same assembly line in Canada, the new Challenger is a full-size coupe with two doors and seating for five.

At least the car is billed as having that capacity, but legroom is limited in the rear seat, and with the driver's bucket seat adjusted to my comfort, there was no room for anyone to sit behind me. I did have a passenger on the other side of the back seat a few times, but the front passenger seat had to be moved forward t
Old 05-19-2008, 02:05 PM

Default RE: Dodge Challenger SRT8 is gawker magnet

“It's really a man thing,” my own wife declared. “You realize you're driving a guy magnet.”

My wife understands, and so does this guys wife, but I love his response

Whatever.
Old 05-19-2008, 06:15 PM

I would liketo see Joanni chime in on this ,Guy magnet HMMMM.. Question.. are there any other ladies here?
Old 05-21-2008, 03:42 PM

I Googled "chick car." According to one web site, the #1 chick car, the car women like the most, is the Audi TT. I looked at that one plus a few other chick cars. What I noticed is that the chick cars have extremely rounded bodies. They're almost like jelly beans. Some people say the Volkswagen Beetle is a chick car too. And they said that men tend to like the very high power, high cost cars, whereas women prefer cars that cost around $30K and have a lot of safety features. They say women strongly tend to not want to buy guy cars, but guys often times are willing to buy chick cars.

So if a car has a squared off, aggressive body shape, a high power engine, is named after a predatory animal or something cool like that, and costs a lot, it's a guy car.

If a car has a very rounded body, a moderate power engine, plenty of safety features, and moderate cost, it's a chick car.
Old 05-21-2008, 08:12 PM

Well dodge seems to have so macho-esk names. Charger, Avenger, Magnum, Nitro, Calibur(sp) etc...
Old 05-22-2008, 01:56 AM

ORIGINAL: Billionaire

I Googled "chick car." According to one web site, the #1 chick car, the car women like the most, is the Audi TT. I looked at that one plus a few other chick cars. What I noticed is that the chick cars have extremely rounded bodies. They're almost like jelly beans. Some people say the Volkswagen Beetle is a chick car too. And they said that men tend to like the very high power, high cost cars, whereas women prefer cars that cost around $30K and have a lot of safety features. They say women strongly tend to not want to buy guy cars, but guys often times are willing to buy chick cars.

So if a car has a squared off, aggressive body shape, a high power engine, is named after a predatory animal or something cool like that, and costs a lot, it's a guy car.

If a car has a very rounded body, a moderate power engine, plenty of safety features, and moderate cost, it's a chick car.
Interesting. Back in the '70s, notchback Mustangs were chick cars, but fastback Mustangs were guys cars.