Notices
Challenger News This section is only for articles pertaining to, or containing information about the new Dodge Challenger.

Dodge plans big moves across line

Old 10-22-2007, 05:00 AM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dodge plans big moves across line

FUTURE PRODUCT -- CHRYSLER

Dodge plans big moves across line

Bradford Wernle

Automotive News | October 22, 2007 - 12:01 am EST

Dodge's product blitz continues. Within about 12 months, its two best-selling vehicles will receive a major restyling and re-engineering.

The 2008 Grand Caravan went on sale last month, and the next-generation 2009 Ram pickup debuts in about a year (see story below).

Some might say Dodge is taking a big risk by abandoning its popular short-wheelbase minivan. The automaker hopes to woo Caravan loyalists and non-Dodge owners with a new offering — the 2009 Journey, a mixture of crossover and minivan.

Meanwhile, performance enthusiasts and guys over 50 are buzzing about next year's debut — the retro-styled, Hemi-powered 2009 Challenger.

But one of Dodge's most recent offerings has yet to make a ripple in the marketplace. The 2008 Avenger debuted in the spring, but sales are so disappointing, there's talk about major surgery.

Dodge product highlights for the 2008-11 model years.

Caliber: Chrysler engineers tweaked engine and calibrations for the continuously variable transmission to improve driveability and reduce powertrain noise, a criticism of the 2007 model.

The halo vehicle for the 2008 Caliber line is the SRT4. The high-performance, front-wheel-drive car packs a 285-hp, turbocharged, 2.4-liter four-cylinder engine producing 265 pounds-feet of torque. Getrag provides the six-speed manual transmission. Dealers are just starting to receive the car. A freshening is due for the 2010 model year.

Avenger: The Avenger also is due for a freshening for the 2010 model year, followed by a reskin for the 2012 model year. But those plans may change.

The new management team "is pretty unhappy with the styling of the exterior and the hard plastic (trim) on the interior" of both the Avenger and Chrysler Sebring, says one supplier source.

An accelerated program to make a major change to the Avenger's exterior styling is possible, sources say. If that occurs, a significantly restyled car could be on the market for the 2011 model year.

Charger: The 2008 Charger's interior gets a makeover and adds Sirius Backseat TV and iPod connector options.

Sources say the restyled, re-engineered Charger will likely launch as a 2012 model a few months behind the Chrysler 300 and Dodge Magnum.

The restyled, re-engineered 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan offers Swivel 'n Go seats, which rotate 180 degrees.

Magnum: The Magnum wagon is the slowest-selling of Chrysler's rear-wheel-drive cars. The 2008 model's exterior is freshened, adding a new cross-hairs grille and chrome elements. In an effort to end criticism that some of its interiors look cheap because of the excessive use of hard plastic trim pieces, the instrument panel, center console and door panels get softer materials. Ditto for the Charger.

The restyled, re-engineered Magnum will debut for the 2011 model year on the rwd LY vehicle platform. But some analysts think Chrysler's new management may kill the car.

Challenger: The prospect of the Dodge Challenger, a pony car for the 21st century, gets the hearts of dealers pumping. Sources say Dodge is rolling out the Challenger in two phases. A limited-run 2008 SRT will be shown at the Chicago auto show. It will feature the 6.1-liter Hemi mated to a five-speed automatic. Only about 5,000 will be made.

For the 2009 model year, Dodge will expand the Challenger with 6.1 and 5.7 liter Hemi versions. A six-speed manual will be added and possibly a dual-clutch transmission. Dodge will produce 30,000 to 35,000 in 2009. The 2009 version will be introduced at the New York auto show, sources say.

Viper SRT10: Absent for about a year as it underwent a re-engineering, the Viper SRT10 convertible and coupe return as 2008 models with a bit more refi
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 10-22-2007, 09:55 AM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Dodge plans big moves across line

Similar Article!

http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dl...710220314/1128

Glad their nixing the idea of the Imperial...that never did much for me....I think they have should an elite lux car...just not that.......

Again, this seems where Plymouth would be a good brand to resuscitate to split demographics and brand associations.....there's no notion of luxury w/ Chrysler the way there used to be.......

Maybe a rework of the New Yorker and LeBaron they might be interesting re-interpreted.....