Notices
Challenger News This section is only for articles pertaining to, or containing information about the new Dodge Challenger.

Dodge reaffirms its ties to NASCAR

Old 07-13-2006, 09:45 AM
Administrator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dodge reaffirms its ties to NASCAR

Dodge reaffirms its ties to NASCAR
July 2, 2006 12:50 am

By JIM McCONNELL

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla--Rumors have swirled for months that one of NASCAR's three auto manufacturers--Ford, General Motors or DaimlerChrysler--would end its affiliation with the stock-car organization after the 2006 season.

Yesterday, after his company unveiled plans to bring back the Dodge Challenger as a production car in 2008, DaimlerChryler chairman Dieter Zetsche stated unequivocally that Dodge will be sticking around for the foreseeable future.

"I don't know who is creating those rumors. We have no reason whatsoever [to leave]," Zetsche told The Associated Press prior to the start of last night's Pepsi 400. "We are very happy with NASCAR. It is a great platform and Dodge is the right brand to race NASCAR."

Poor auto sales and heavy financial losses among the Big Three automakers, coupled with Toyota's planned 2007 Nextel Cup debut, have fueled speculation that one of the domestic nameplates was on its way out.

With its drivers struggling to adjust to the new Charger last season, much of the speculation has centered on Dodge. But as NASCAR CEO Brian France noted Friday afternoon, Kasey Kahne's emergence--a series-high four wins and third place in Nextel Cup points--can only bode well for Dodge's future as a NASCAR power.

"I think, if anything, the parity is probably as good as it's been," France said. "I don't think anyone has a serious complaint. Dodge has made a nice resurgence and Kasey Kahne is showing they have got the Dodge Charger in a good place."

As proof of Dodge's commitment, Zetsche even left the door open for using the new Challenger in NASCAR once it begins rolling off the production lines. Dodge sold more than 188,000 of the popular two-door "muscle cars" during their initial run from 1970 to '74.

Very important visitor
Vice President Dick Cheney accepted an invitation from the France family to attend last night's race, and also spoke briefly during both the drivers meeting and pre-race festivities.

Cheney, who had never attended a NASCAR race, looked more like a fan than a world leader in his open-collar shirt and tan NASCAR windbreaker. He even joked about getting to spend time during the race with "Big Mike," NASCAR president Mike Helton, in the Nextel Cup hauler.

Cheney also had a serious message, however, thanking the drivers and crew chiefs for their continued support of the U.S. armed forces.

"You've got obviously a huge following among the men and women in the United States military," Cheney said. "Some of you have been to Walter Reed and Bethesda [hospitals] and spent time with the folks who've come from their service to the nation. On behalf of the president and myself, we greatly appreciate it. It means a great deal to all of us that you're willing to demonstrate that kind of support for them."

Sadler newest cover boy

Elliott Sadler's season has been disappointing by his standards, but that didn't stop Electronic Arts from featuring the Emporia native on the cover of its EA Sports NASCAR '07 video game.

Sadler, a longtime gamer, has been involved in all aspects of EA's NASCAR program since he joined the Nextel Cup Series in 1999. He even took home the championship trophy from last year's EA Sports Drivers Gaming Competition in Bristol.

"The changes for the game this year are really going to impress folks," Sadler said. "They've brought the excitement and speed aspects of our sport to the forefront and put the control in the hands of the player. It'll feel like you're right there in the car with me."

NASCAR '07 will be on store shelves by Sept. 6 and is rated "E" for "everyone."
Old 07-20-2006, 02:48 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Dodge reaffirms its ties to NASCAR

As I said before, I'm glad they are planning on staying in NASCAR. However, I believe NASCAR needs an overhaul. They need to go back to racing a stock version of the car that they are racing and not have all three of them share a platform and use engines they no longer use in any of their current cars.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 07-20-2006, 06:34 PM
Super Moderator

Thank you, I totally agree. This would make it more exciting as well.......like football.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 07-20-2006, 07:07 PM
Super Moderator

Okay, are you saying that having NASCAR getting back to the original form of using the bare stock versions of the actual car would make it as interesting as football, or are you saying football also needs an overhaul? I'm a little confused.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first to 2000 posts

Old 07-20-2006, 07:29 PM
Super Moderator

Nascar needs to be more like football. Nascar needs different engines and bodies like football has different uniforms and bodies.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 07-20-2006, 07:33 PM
Super Moderator

Okay, good comparison. Never thought about that before, but good none the less.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first to 2000 posts