Notices
Challenger News This section is only for articles pertaining to, or containing information about the new Dodge Challenger.

Dodge sets its sights high with goal of selling 30K Challengers

Old 02-11-2008, 07:35 PM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dodge sets its sights high with goal of selling 30K Challengers

Wow, being compared to BMW or Porsche. The Challenger is bad.

Published February 11, 2008

Dodge sets its sights high with goal of selling 30K Challengers

UP TO THE CHALLENGE?

Mark Phelan
Gannett News Service

Chrysler LLC's Dodge division expects to sell 20,000 to 30,000 of its retro-styled Challenger sport coupes a year once the full model line goes on sale.

That was the forecast last week from Chrysler Vice Chairman Jim Press at the Chicago Auto Show.

For the 2008 model year, though, Dodge will only offer the 425-horsepower high-performance $37,995 Challenger SRT8. The production run of 6,400 is sold out and cars will arrive on dealer lots in the spring, Press said.

"There's already a waiting list for 2009 models," he said.

Chrysler, owned by New York's Cerberus Capital Management LP, is to unveil the 2009 Challenger at the New York Auto Show next month.

The Challenger family will probably grow next year to include lower-priced models with less-powerful engines. A convertible is also possible.

Dodge touted several key technical features as advantages versus the Ford Mustang, the Challenger's most obvious competitor.

The Challenger will come with standard antilock brakes, electronic stability control, curtain air bags, six-speed automatic transmission and keyless ignition.

The five-passenger Challenger uses the same basic structure as the Chrysler 300 and Dodge Charger sedans. Like them, it features a five-link rear suspension, a layout that's widely considered more advanced than the Mustang's solid rear axle.

"We'd rather run like a thoroughbred than ride like a pony," Frank Klegon, Chrysler vice president of product development, said in a thinly veiled jab at the Mustang.

Dodge set its sights high, pointing out the Challenger SRT8's 170-mph top speed is faster than the $82,900 500-horsepower BMW M5 super sedan, and the 6.1-liter Hemi V8 produces more torque than a $126,200 Porsche 911 turbo.

"When you sit inside, it makes you feel younger and richer than you are," Press said.

He insists the Challenger's appeal goes beyond aging baby boomers who remember the original 1970 muscle car.

"Young people are discovering the car on their own," he said. "They're drawn to it because it's great-looking, emotional, fun to drive and roomy."

Auburn Hills-based Chrysler builds the car at its Brampton, Ontario, assembly plant.

For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 02-11-2008, 08:38 PM

Default RE: Dodge sets its sights high with goal of selling 30K Challengers

This is just awesome to read in print. It's gonna be an agonizingly long wait for my Sublime SRT8 later in the year, but boy oh boy it is gonna just be worth every minute!!!
Old 02-12-2008, 06:16 AM

The Challenger really shouldn't have much trouble selling 20-30k units a year particularly when it has the base model to appeal to those who just want the look (I shudder to think about how fast a 250HP 4100 lb. car will be though[:'(]). For us hardcore guys we have the SRT8 and the R/T.
Old 02-12-2008, 07:18 AM

Yea the V6 is for girls, and guys who don't care about going fast.
Old 02-12-2008, 08:20 AM

Personally I think 30,000 is pretty conservative condsidering the SRT8 claimed nearly 10k orders alone in just 30 days. When the lower priced variants come along this will allow people who like the stying to get in with a lot less coin. My guess is more like 50,000 a year at least for the first couple of years.
Old 02-12-2008, 09:20 AM

the 250hp charger is 3800lbs. I'd expect the Challenger to be around 3750.

The V6 is also for guys who don't have the coin for a 30k car and insurance on 380hp. aka me.
Old 02-12-2008, 10:16 AM

Hey now, don't go jabbing the V6 - while I personally would never buy one, I certainly wouldn't fault anyone who did. I believe the very survival of the Challenger is going to depend on the bread-and-butter V6 models, just like the Mustang. Not everyone who buys a Challenger is a total gearhead like those of us here on this site - some can't afford (or don't want) a V8 with a higher price, xtra gas and insurance, and there's no reason they should be excluded from the total Challenger experience.

I had V6 Charger as a rental car awhile back (the 3.5), it was no tire smoker but it did get out of its own way nice enough, so I'm sure it'll be adequate enough for those that buy them. Hope they don't put that godawful 2.7 in it... that's a different story altogether. [:'(]
Old 02-12-2008, 11:11 AM

And besides, in most driving conditions in most American cities, who can EVER go fast?
Old 02-12-2008, 02:08 PM

sorry bout the V6 guys, not trying to be offensive.
Old 02-12-2008, 05:04 PM

I agree that the V6 will perhaps be the light that really makes this vehicle sell to the masses. SRT's are so limited in number and V8's in a full size are not all that most consumers desire. Sure we could say the same for coupes in general, but most buyers of the Challenger will not be looking for the fast lane, rather, they'll enjoy the looks of a coupe that makes for a practical every day driver. My 2cents.

Quick Reply: Dodge sets its sights high with goal of selling 30K Challengers